Degassing and aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
I started a WE Cabernet back in July 2007 and bottled it in October 2007. A few weeks ago, I tried a bottle (wanted to check for gas and see how it tasted).
It had some gas in it, not horrible, but definitely there. I did the decanting ritual for an hour prior to drinking and it was fine; some KT, but fine nonetheless. (My wife actually likes the KT as she likes some sweetness).........anyway........

My original plan was to let this age until at least next september prior to drinking, making it a year of aging.

Question is whether the gas in the wine affects the aging process? I was hopeful that the KT would go away after a year or even two, but if the gas will prevent that and also prevent other aging benefits, then I'm just going to drink it all sooner than later.

The gas that's in it is just C02 and does not affect the aging enough to say so. The wine will definely improve with age, even with the bit of C02 in there. Enjoy a bottle every now and then, but if you leave it for that extra time you will be rewarded.

Back