WineXpert Degasing, Stabilising and Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS

Reaction score
I'm making a Wine Expert Kit and I would like to know when it the best time to degas using wade's vacuum pump.

Step 3 in WE Instruction Said:
1. Dissolve contents of package(s) #3 (metabisulphite) and package(s) #4 (sorbate) in 125ml (½ cup) of cool water. Add to carboy and stir vigorously for 2 minutes to disperse the stabilisers and drive off CO2. Be sure to stir up yeast sediment from the bottom, and stir hard enough to agitate gas out of the wine.
2. Shake contents of package(s) #5 (Chitosan or isinglass clarifier). Carefully cut open the corner of the pouch(es) and pour contents into carboy. Stir vigorously for another 2 minutes to degas the wine. If you do not degas the wine completely, it will not clear.

Now that I'm using a Vacuum Pump that I bought from wade (great pump by the way), should I degas before, between or after adding the metabisulphite, sorbate and clarifier

Thank you :fsh

If you are using the vacuum pump to rack - you have just degassed your wine when you transferred over. I never specifically degass - i rack about 3-4 times at 18" on the pump - that is plenty of degassing.

After fermentation add the k-meta and sorbate in. Wait about 3-4 days to give this time to work. Sweeten and add the clarifier.

Latest posts

Back