Defective Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoffman13954

Junior
Reaction score
I just purchase a 5 gallon carboy (new) and when I got it home I notice a large air bubble in the glass about 1/4" in diameter. I will be using a vacuum to pump my wine into it. Are these bubbles just part of the bottle or should I return the carboy?

Daryl

The only safe answer anyone can give here is to exchange the carboy.
If you bought it locally, an exchange should be easy.

All of mine have small bubbles and other types of imperfections, but you'll have to judge yours for yourself.

If you have any concerns about the safety of the carboy, by all means, take it back.

If you take it back (without seeing I don't know if I would or not) explain to them that you use a vacuum pump and your concerned about the large air bubble. I don't think they'll mind at all.

After I posted this message I had a feeling that there is no correct answer. I hate returning things but I would sure hate losing a batch of wine because of the imperfection. My other bottles have a couple of small bubbles or blisters but not as large as this one. I am going to return it and be safe. I did notice the box was opened when I received it so someone else might have had the same concern.
Thanks All for your responses,
Daryl

Back