Deer vs The Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topkeg

Reaction score
So for those of you with more long term experience than me, I am pondering a theory on deer control. My vineyard is out in the country, and my property doesn't really have much woodlands cover, but I have a small heard of deer that hang around my 100 acres near a tank and reeds. So I'm thinking, if I put up a feeder away from my vineyard by the tank, will that satisfy their needs or will they prefer the vines. I prefer the 30-06 control version, but unfortunately because of the lack of cover my heard only travels late at night.

Feeding them might bring more deer to your area. I've heard of people having good results with night guard. http://niteguard.com/. I haven't tried it myself but its worth a try

A deer fence is the only sure fire way to keep them out. They will eat all your corn and then go eat all your grapes and think life is good.

Deer will only eat what they can see. your first problem is new plants , you will need to use grow tubes, when the grapes reach the top of the grow tube , extend it higher by raising the grow tube so that tender tops are still protected. you may need to use them the second year. use a high cordon trellis system. once grapes reach the top of trellis deer will not eat any of the grapes or grape leaves because it is above their site line. I only had deer damage for leaves lower that 5 ft.

We used to feed the deer all winter long, so there was quite a herd around, but they found easier eating locations during the summer. seems they only ate the grape leaves when traveling to feeding areas from bedding areas.

if planning on large acreage, my friend with a winery put up a 10 ft high plastic fence around all 10 acres. no deer problem.

Latest posts

Back