Deep freezer temp chamber

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubulup

Junior
Reaction score
Anyone use deep freezers with temp controllers for wine making? I didn't seem to find many posts about it. My question is about closing the lid...will the air in there be so tight that the air lock won't allow gas to escape? Also, maybe it's good to keep the air out while aging?

I'd like to hear some thoughts and methods from people who do use or who have tried the deep freezer method.

A number of us them. Why are you concerned about the gas escaping? At time if cold stabilizing your wine should be completely fermented and degassed. I actually use solid bungs when I cold stabilize. I hope this answers your question, if not let me know. I think this is the best way there is to cold stabilize other than the cost.

I guess during fermentation, is my only concern...here in Louisiana my barn gets hotter than fermenting temps should be; terribly violent fermentation of a blackberry wine last year...this year I want to try to keep the temperatures in check; all phases.

I typically will bring my temp down to 28 degrees F and leave the air lock on, filled with vodka, rember that the colder the wine gets the more condence the wine will be also. So that means that the wine will not ever breathe because in theory it should be in a negative enviroment. Yes on occassion I will use a solid bung as well , I typically do not have alot of solids lying around though

I would think even if you had the freezer up in the 50-60 range - like fermenting a white wine, you'd be opening it up to stir the wine often enough that there'd be enough air exchange as any CO2 would rush right out upon opening, sucking in plain ol air to replace it.. And thats if in fact, the seal is tight enough on the freezer in the first place.

Back