December 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
(unashamedly ganked from Rayway's thread last month...I liked her post, plus I'm lazy)

Happy Holidays everyone! This is our official December thread.

This totally unofficial club is open to anyone who is interested in making a one gallon (or larger) test/experimental batch and sharing the recipe, process, ups and downs with the rest of the club.

We like:
a) full recipes with all ingredients and steps as you go along
b) pictures
c) helpful suggestions on recipe ideas, stumped members
d) thinking outside the box
e) pictures! (did I say that already?)

At the end of the month, we would appreciate a recap of the good, the bad and the ugly of the primary fermentation, as well as periodic updates throughout the year as you go along.

At the one year mark, we will all pop open a bottle of the previous year's wine and take pictures, post comments on how it turned out, and hopefully have a tried and true recipe to post int he recipes section.
And if it turns out lovely, well you will have some ready made holiday presents to give out. And...well, if it's not so lovely, you will have a fantastic alternative to coal to put into someone's stocking.

1. Calvin......Sonic Peppermint Wine

2. Julie......Pumpkin Pie Wine

3. The Rayway......Pear Wine

4. Jericurl.....Cranberry Mead

5. Aryoung1980......Sneaky Pete

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe we have been doing these for a year and people are still participating.
I love it!
I know of at least two recipes made up in the last year that turned out fantastic.
I'm so glad we still have people participating and learning.

I'm still new enough that I feel like every batch I make is an experiment. I've got two ideas this month and I'm not sure which I will be going with for WOTM club yet.

Last month, aryoung1980 made a cranberry batch that looks really good, then Pam came in and had some wonderful ideas to add to it. I may make a variation of that, but base it on my cranberry sauce, which means it will have orange and a bit of almond added to it.

My other option is a 6 gallon batch of mead.
I've got a large can of elderberries and a large can of blackberries from Vinter's Harvest and about 20 lbs of blueberry honey on it's way (I'm bound and determined to make a Skyrim themed mead....Black Briar Mead anyone?) . I'm still researching how to properly feed mead nutrients and no idea what yeast to use, so that may have to wait until after the holidays.

Whatever I decide on, I think I want to make enough of it to drink during holiday get togethers next year, so I definitely want to keep the alcohol volume down a little lower than usual. I think 10 or 11% should be about right.

Wow, I'm with Jeri - I'm so thrilled and excited that folks are interested in joining us on these experiments and sharing their thoughts, experiences, triumphs and failures.

December is currently unknown for me as to what I'll do. My thoughts are a) Pear Vanilla, b) Gluten Free Beer (still experimental!!), or c) A dragon's blood or Skeeter Pee variant. Also, I vaguely remember a recipe for Raisin Sherry from one of my wine making books. That could be very interesting if I can find a sherry yeast!

Thanks ladies for keeping this going. Though I fade off from time to time, I am a "gallon'er for life".
It is awesome seeing all the new and creative recipes in here.

I just started up another batch of apple/jalapeno. I made one in Aug. '13 and really liked it.

Wow, I'm with Jeri - I'm so thrilled and excited that folks are interested in joining us on these experiments and sharing their thoughts, experiences, triumphs and failures.

December is currently unknown for me as to what I'll do. My thoughts are a) Pear Vanilla, b) Gluten Free Beer (still experimental!!), or c) A dragon's blood or Skeeter Pee variant. Also, I vaguely remember a recipe for Raisin Sherry from one of my wine making books. That could be very interesting if I can find a sherry yeast!

As far as the gluten free beer goes I think they have a few clarifiers you can use that removes the gluten to make them gluten free. Gluten ninja I think is one and clarityferm is another. Not sure if it reduces the level down below a certain point or removes it all together. I'm sure what your talking about is no gluten to even start with but figured I'd add that incase someone else would be interested to know.

As far as the gluten free beer goes I think they have a few clarifiers you can use that removes the gluten to make them gluten free. Gluten ninja I think is one and clarityferm is another. Not sure if it reduces the level down below a certain point or removes it all together. I'm sure what your talking about is no gluten to even start with but figured I'd add that incase someone else would be interested to know.

Hey JimmyT - in fact, I cannot have gluten removed beers as they contain too much remaining protein. I cannot have rye or whiskey either, even though companies say the process of distillation removes the gluten.

So if I'm doing a beer - it will be entirely GF from the beginning. :) Still torn on what to make, although the Ure Pears in my freezer are certainly calling my name!

I'm finally in! I wanted to join last month but life got in the way. I am doing an experimental 1 gallon batch of "sonic mint wine". Lucky for me the girls In the drive thru were nice enough to give me about 2#'s of the mints you get with every meal. ImageUploadedByWine Making1417579739.008896.jpg. I heated up some water and made a simple syrup with them. ImageUploadedByWine Making1417579919.818043.jpg. Removing the wrappers took about 30 minutes. And I only ate 3 mints :). Poured all the mint syrup into my primary and watered to one gallon. I was surprised to only get a sg of 1.060. So I added sugar to 1.090. Then nutrient, energizer, acid blend, and some pectic enzyme. Stirred good and pitched 1/2 a pack of 1118. Wish me luck!ImageUploadedByWine Making1417580205.432493.jpg

Yesterday I checked my sg. Only down to 1.080. So I tossed in the other 1/2 packet of yeast. Today it is only at 1.078. 71 degrees. It is fermenting. When I stir I get a bunch of little bubbles. Sounds like a can of coke. But going very very slow. Anyone else have this problem with candy wine? Will it hurt to add extra nutrient and energizer? I already added the recommended dose for each.

Ok, I started a one gallon batch of pumpkin pie on 11/27/14. I used 8 1/2# of pie pumpkins, sugar to bring sg to 1.074. Since this is probably going to be a light wine, I wanted to keep the ABV low. I, also, added 1/4 tsp of tannin, 2T of acid blend to bring ph down to 3.31. Once fermentation is complete, I will add some spices but that is down the road aways.

IMG_0536.jpg

@calvin I've not made a candy wine myself, but I think that so long as the s.g. is dropping you should be ok. @julie may have some input on that one as she has done something similar before I believe(?)

Calvin, yes add more nutrients and energizer. When I made mine, I use Welches white grape as a base. When you go to backsweeten, use more of the candies

Is there some kind of shortage of cranberries? I had to go to 3 different grocery stores before I found any cranberries.
I couldn't believe it.

Ok, I picked up fresh cranberries, orange juice concentrate, cranberry juice, cinnamon sticks, and I have some fresh ginger in the fridge.
I think I am going to treat this like I'm making a giant batch of cranberry sauce for my base. I'll boil most of the cranberries with some OJ and ginger. I've got to decide if I want to use sugar or honey....suggestions?

Then I'll add the rest of the OJ and Cranberry juices, about 3 bananas, the usual suspects in additives.....I'm thinking this one should be made around 10%?

I'm also still going to be making the elderberry/blackberry mead this month. That one is going to be a 6 gallon batch though. And I've still got to get out to Sam's Club this weekend to pick up a bunch of frozen blueberries to add.
Should I add rosehips to this to give a slight floral edge?

I should be starting both of these this weekend.

I heard something on the radio the other day about a huge cranberry surplus. They were complaining that the prices were going to drop because there are more cranberries this year then they know what to do with.

When I was at the grocery store the other day there were cranberries everywhere! I'm assuming because of all or the rain there was a bumper crop. If they go on a wicked sale, I'm totally going to stock up.

Jeri that recipe sounds GOOD! Just remember that cranberries have a huge amount of pectin that will become activated when you heat them. Go extra-extra on the pectic enzyme or you may end up with cranberry wine jelly :)

Looking forward to pictures!

Heading to the basement now to see what my pear situation is like...I can't remember if I stored them all here or at other people's places. :re

21 Lbs of pears thawing. 16 lbs Manitoba Ure, and 5 lbs Bartlett. Without a press, this should get me enough for a 1 gal UK all juice pear wine. Sooo excited!!

IMG_20141213_072956.jpg

Pears are mostly thawed, but still very cold. I chopped them in halves, squished them a bit, added 1 tsp of pectic enzyme to get them to break down even further. I also added 1/2 cup lemon juice, and the dried zest of 3 lemons. I'm hoping the lemon juice will assist in preventing them from oxidizing over the next 24 hours, plus I put a layer of saran wrap on the surface to keep the oxygen off.

So far:
21# Pears (16# Ure, 5# Bartett)
1tsp Pectic Enzyme
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 lemon's worth of zests, dried (no pith)

I am proposing to use a blend of ICV D254, and BA11. I will use some elderflowers, and a mixture of sugar and honey. I would like it to end up as a complex and layered white wine with a nice pear flavour. The Ure's have an intense amount of tannins in the skin which have worked very well in my pear-vanilla liqueur, so I won't add extra tannins. I may add a bit of banana or a very tiny touch of candied ginger to it as well for body and a bit of spice. Possibilities of a bit of vanilla or american oak at some point later as well.

Thoughts?

Apologies for the horrible picture. It is not nearly so brown or yicky looking. I hate my camera phone.

IMG_20141214_180750.jpg

Back