De-Gassing Pump??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do you use the drill degasser for? I'm wondering if I did it long enough to get all the gas out. If I didn't can I do it again?

If you can hold a vacuum of 15" for a few hours then you are good. You can do it again if you wish before you bottle to make sure.

Well Wade it sounds like I need some sort of a gauge... and what would that gauge be?? please explain the 15" I'm lost
Edited by: pizz65

The pump has a gauge on it. Refer back tp page 2 in this post where Swill has posted a picture of the gauge. If you look closely you can see that the gauge reads 19" of vacuum. It is really simple amd you wont be overwhelmed at all, trust me.

Yes you can or at any auto parts store but it will probably be more expensive there but depending on how far away from the shipping site for Harborfreight you are the shipping may even that ut anyway. I bought mine from AutoZone on sale for $27.50.

I bought mine from Harbor freight and by the time I paid shipping it was about the same as from an auto parts store. If you buy from an auto parts store you have it in your hands right away and not have to wait for a week!!

And if there is something wrong with it you can just drive right back there and get it replaced immediately. This is why I dont buy to many things online as i have the crappiest luck with getting damage and then struggle with sending back and making the call with all the automated phone systems. That alone will put me in a "mood" for a few hours.

Hi Wine-People,

Was just reading about the de-gassing pump.
I bottled a batch of merlot almost 2 months ago and it's a little fizzy. I've mentioned it here in the forum and you 'all said to decant for a while and that would take care of it. And it does. (Still needs some bottle time as it's still a little ruff on the edges with the yeasty taste though).
Anyway, I like to use the BetterBottles and I was wondering if the de-gass pump would work with them? I think I would like to try the pump.

No it will not. The sides would start to cave in. Do you have any glass carboys as you could transfer it into there to degas.

Yes, I do Wade. I have one glass carboy. How longshould I leave the wine in it before I bottle?

Typically you add the meta and sorbate then degas. Then you would add the fining agent after that. So if you want you can add the k-meta and sorbate into a glass carboy, rack the wine onto these additives and degas and then rack back to plastic and add fining agent.

I keep hearing everyone talk about this Fizzex product that goes onto the end of the drill, WHERE DO I GET IT?
If anybody knows, it would be appreciated, thanks.

I also took Wade's advice a few months ago and bought a brake bleeder from Harbor Frieght. Trust me this is idoit proof usage here, u basically take it out of the box and your ready to go. I love using it and its really fun to watch all the bubbles come out of your wine. Ask for it as a xmas gift :).

Scuba

Scuba and others, i was gla dthis topic re-emerged...last week i was south of the mason dixon visiting my wife's family and looking for something to do..well they have a Harbor Freight nearby and recalling a previous topic here when i came across the brake bleeder shown in this topic...i think it was 20 bucks...i ususally wait until the gas is gone before bottling but now i can force the issue...thanks to everyone for their input, pictures and lessons on how to use it. All my wine is in glass carboys and flex tanks....so i am good on the glass...i will have to test the ability for the flex tanks to be *bled*..i think i will have an issue there.

hi Wade and Merry Christmas...i think i am going to have to revert to real aging time or mechanical means...i keep pondering the bleeder type of answer but i dont see it happenning.

question for the de-gassing experts

i may have said this before..i never have degassed w the exception of some carboy shaking...and i am assuming since i let things age well enough that this is the reason that i have not been having co2 issues...so for fun i bought a brake bleeder and about an hour ago i started bleeding a six gallon carboy of amarone that did *not* taste of any co2 issues, in fact i plan on bottling it this week based on my experience this wine *is* ready.....so here i am using my little bleeder and its bubblicious........

co2? or sulphur dioxide?

the wine tastes great....keep bleeding? if its so2, am i not messing up the age-ability? that would be my assumption.

all the bubbles are small and the wine has already been fined, oaked, and preserved just for extra info

thoughts?

Before you fine, do you mix well with a drill mounted mix stir! This is part of an article from Tim Vadergrift who is the Tech and spokesperson for Winexpert wines written in Winemaker Magazine.
"Finally, what about sulfite? It can be pulled out of solution by the action of vacuum. In this case, the answer is actually “yep, but.” You can lose one or two parts per million (ppm) of free SO2 to a strong vacuum over a period of hours. However, a couple of parts per million are beneath the ability of most home tests to measure, and not enough to warrant the addition of any extra sulfite to your kit wine.

I think that some people can sense things in life more then others and my mouth is extremely sensitive to C02 it seems. I have aged a few wines over a year and still had a lot of gas. From what I take though kit wines tend to retain C02 much more so then fresh grape wines and Id love to hear a theory on why that is, anyone. Everyone that makes wine from grapes says that degassing is not needed and everyone making kits is on the opposite side of this poll, so its has to be the difference.

Back