WineXpert De-Gas wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS

Reaction score
I’m wondering if I made a mistake, I’m making a Wine Expert Dry Creek Chardonnay and on step #3 “Stabilizing and clearing” they said:

1. Dissolve contents of package(s) #2 (metabisulphite) and package(s) #3 (sorbate) in 125 ml (½ cup) of cool water. Add to carboy and stir very vigorously for 2 minutes to disperse the stabilizers and drive off CO2. Again, be sure to stir up the yeast sediment from the bottom of the carboy.
2. Shake contents of package(s) #4 (chitosan or isinglass clarifier). Carefully cut open the corner of the pouch(es) and pour contents into carboy. Stir vigorously for another 2 minutes to drive off CO2 gas. (See note above: your wine may not clear if this stirring is not vigorous enough.)

In the both step above, I used a drill mounted stirring devices to stir wine.
I did what was recommended, but after that, I used my Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer for about 14 minutes to make sure all the gas was out. I the beginning, they were a lot of big bubble coming up and after 14 minutes, they were much lest, but, some big bubble still was coming up but I stop.

My question is:

Was vacuuming after adding metabisulphite, sorbate, and the stabilizers was OK?

Or, should I done before adding them?

If I did it wrong, did I damage the wine?

When do I know the wine is fully degassed?

Appreciate any feedback :a1

Thank you

JLS

You should be fine. Do not apply any vacuum while your wine is clearing or you will end up with all the sediment on top of your wine instead of on the bottom!

Thank you Wade, I also came across some real good article from you:

Racking your wine with a vacuum pump

How to degas your wine with a vacuum pump

WE Main Link and Date Code

I cannot wait to get my new pump on Monday

Great job

Thanks

During the fermentation process, Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is created by the yeast, along with the creation of alcohol. In beer, CO2 is not much of a worry as it creates the carbonation. In a still wine however, CO2 is undesirable and affect the taste and quality of the wine.

When making wine that will be in the carboy for quite a while before bottling, getting rid of CO2 is not as big of an issue as it is for kit wines. Most people that purchase wine making kits buy them so that they can bottle their wines in 4 to 8 weeks. But in reality, this is simply not enough time in most cases to allow CO2 to disipate out of the wine adequately.I'm making my own wine from a "Make Your Own Wine" kit from Lakeview Valley Farms. I am ready to bottle the wine, but I have been warned to make sure the wine is de-gassed (from CO2) before bottling the wine. The instructions with the kit say nothing about this issue. How do I de-gas the wine?

Latest posts

Back