WineXpert De-Gas wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS

Reaction score
I’m making a W/E Italian Montepulciano and I finish step 4 one week ago, on step 3 I add the metabisulphite, sorbate and clarifier, I would like to know if I can de-gas again, what happen is I been reading about de-gasing and I degas the wine with a S/S Mix-Stir for about 5 minute and today I want to check if I did it good, so I used my renold Handi-Vac and was surprise of all the gas that was coming up. So to recap, can de-gas again after adding add the metabisulphite, sorbate and clarifier. Thank you :re

I actually degassed a carboy again this morning. I do use a hand pump designed for open bottles of wine. I put a #7 bung in it as it is designed to just fit over the neck of a wine bottle. As long as your carboy is full to the neck then there is not much space to vacuum the air out of and you get a fairly good seal. It does not do as good a job as other degassers but this way you don't have to remove some of the wine from the carboy. Just a quick way to get some more of the gas out of your wine.

Latest posts

Back