Dateing lables

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Junior
Reaction score
When you bulk age wine what date would you put on the lable?The date you started it,the date you could bottle and decieded to bulk age ,or the date you bottle even if it 6mo or a year later?

Archie

I usually date them from when they are done fermenting but usually dont put the month and the day on the label, just my notes.

We date ours based on the bottling because that is the point nothing else can be added.

So as you can see, it is up to you based on your criteria.Edited by: SB Ranch

I date mine by the varietal of the juice. If it is made with juice from something I had in the freezer for a while and it is the next year for example I just use the date of when I started the batch.

Wine is supposed to be dated according to what year the juice or fruit is grown but I don't think home winemakers do that. If I start a wine close to January, I'll date it after the 1st of the year. The rest I date by the year I start it.

I agree with Joan about dating the wine when the grapes were grown. Sometimes we know when the grapes were grown and sometimes we don't.

The date I put on my labels isthe month I pitched the yeast. Whether its bulk aged or bottle aged I know how old the wine is.

The information on your label is for your use and there are no rules on what goes on the label.

Wayne

As Joan states is the way it is done. If you think about it, the grapes are grown and harvested. As soon as they are harvested they are crushed and pressed and made into wine. This happens in one season so you use the year of the harvest.The same plot of ground can produce different quality grapes from year to year due to weather and other factors. Notice that certain brands make the same type wine every year but some years the wine is much more expensive due to perfect grapes that year in sugar content, acidity, etc. that produces a superior wine. Appellation or Terrior regulations require these labeling laws to advise the consumer of the quality of the particular wine. Of course poor winemaking practices can produce a sub par wine with superior grapes but you get the picture. As stated, home winemakers aren't required to abide by labeling laws.

usually its the time the harvest is picked that dectates the vintage ,not the bottleing,a 2007 cab / is a 2007 vintage,but what you chose to do thats another thing altogether.

Latest posts

Back