Cellar Craft Date code and other confusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy123

Reaction score
I found the code was simple enough from lot #A,B,C = JAN, FEB,MARCH followed by the 2 digit day and 1 digit year.So I determined my California reserve SYRAH was packaged on March 26th 2009.BUT, they dont pick grapes in California in march so when and where did our grapes grow?I'm not complaining, mind you,but curiosity has always plagued me.Any knowledge or thoughts are appreciated._popupControl();

Andy:

You're right, it was 'packaged' on that date. The juice/concentrates were stored, presumably in a very controlled environment, until the kit was packaged.

Cellar Craft kits are packaged in Vancouver BC, even though their juices/concentrates come from around the world.

In this case, the grapes will have been grown in California, possibly in a couple of different areas. Turned into juice/concentrate and stored for Cellar Craft. Then the kit will be made either using the output of one vineyard, or more likely a blend of Syrahs from different vineyards.

Steve

Back