dandt Weinkeller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome and I can tell you from experience that this space will serve you well for many years to come and provide consistent conditions for your wine storage.
smiley32.gif

Thanks All!

There are a few spots where you won't see any pictures of
smiley4.gif
. It's functional and I'm pleased with it so far. Of course still some details to work on, the floor for example, a wall mural (thanks Jobe) for the door, a carboy aging rack (might stain the one I made out of scrap and put it in), and something my wife got for outside the door.

I hope it provides a constant temp. I seems ok for the summer so far (I need a temp/humidity sensor yet) but I'm afraid since it's in an outside building I might have to plug in a heater with a temp sensor for the winter.

hi coaster

wine room looks great - lots of fun building mine too - half the fun of
this hobby is getting there!!! look what i found for the inside my
door. sometimes my wife and i go into the winery and just sit,
have hordurves, and sip a glass of wine (commercial at this stage) but
neverless wine. now we will be able to look out of the window and see a
Tuscany vineyard:

20070816_200050_tuscan.jpg

these are called "wallies" and I found them on ebay. The item
number is 180148151158 and the seller is dyhomedecor. They have
other designs too but this is the one i chose. kinda fun - be
glad when it comes in and i get it up - wife does not know yet.
by the way - this one was on $16 plus shipping. hope it looks as
good on the door as it does in my mind. just thought you would
like to see this. by the way my wine room post is just below
yours. enjoy and keep showing your progress.

rrawhide

Edited by: rrawhide

Well I had to add a dehumidifier, was starting to see some mold growth. It, of course, started to heat up the room as it began pulling the moisture down. I had to turn the AC on high. Finally got most of the moisture out and it is in maintenance mode so won't run all the time. Drilled a hole and hard plumbed it outside. It maintains the humidity at 50% (the set point). Turned the AC back to energy saver mode. Now the humidity goes up a few points every time I open the door to go check on it so I'll try to stay out a few days
smiley9.gif

Humidity really should be around 70% if you can get it there. What was the humidity that they were starting to grow mold?

I've read that humidity can be between 50%-70%, with some saying even lower if the bottles are on their sides to keep the cork wet. When I plugged the unit in it said "hi" and it has a range of 35% to 70%. So it was above 70%. Took about a day to drop it into range (room is 50 sq ft). I could set it a just about anything right now with the humid summer we've had. I hope this isn't an issue in the winter/spring. Edited by: Coaster

Added some new racking from my wife (a Christmas gift). Sorry the pics are a little fuzzy.

Looking into room.
20080112_121629_looking_in.jpg

New Tasting area.
20080112_121736_new_tasting_tab.jpg

New storage.
20080112_121841_new_rack.jpg

If I make ky kids sleep in the attic, I just might have room for something like that.
smiley4.gif

Nicely done!
smiley32.gif
It's time for us to quit buying food to store in the basement pantry so that we can turn that area into wine cellaralso!

THAT is a great wine room,enjoy ,also can your ac system be wire into a humidastat,instead of a standard stat or is it already built in?GREAT ROOM EXCELLENT WORK
smiley20.gif

My AC is a Sears Kenmore wall unit. I have a dehumidifier down there in the corner under the AC unit. I was getting too much humidity here in Central Texas. The AC unit has a power save unit that lets it run for 1min them off for 3 then back on. I thought that plus the fact it is way oversized for teh area would be enough to keep the humidity down but in the late fall I saw some mold start so installed the dehumidifier and everything works well now. I have a little more temperature swings due to the heat generated by the dehumidifier which has to be cooled by the AC but it works for now. Edited by: Coaster

I guess its what ever it takes to satisfiy your needs,I would really have to think about it but your OK///still looks great
smiley20.gif

Back