dandt Weinkeller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of the concept. I've done a lot of work on it in the past three weeks. I have some pictures to show my progress but I'll have to get them off the camera. This room is 8' x 8' and 7' 8' tall. The room I've built so far is 8' x 7' and 7' 8" tall. I've moved the opening for the AC unit up higher on the wall. The blue sheet you see is the radiant barrier and I've not done any racks (think I will buy some of those from Sam's).

20070730_202817_wine_room.JPG
Edited by: Coaster

That corner. BTW Thank you all especailly Wade and Waldo. I have been inspired. I am an amature carpenter, but I really like to do it. I've learned quite a bit so far during this project.

20070730_212301_1_garage_corner.jpg

That corner cleaned out.

20070730_212452_2_cleaned_out.jpg

Daddy's little help (remember no apostrophe in the pic name or you'll spend 15 mins and a whole adult BEvERage figuring that out....again.

20070730_212730_3_Daddys_little.jpg

I have to build the back walls outside in so I put up the furring strips and added the radiant / vapor barrier
20070730_213214_4_radiant_barri.jpg

All the framing complete.
20070730_213345_6_walls_and_cei.jpg

I used rigid foam core insulation 4 sheets of 3/4" and 1 sheet of 1/2" per opening. With the radiant barrier, should be plenty of R value. The white sheets are the 3/4". Later I'll add the 1/2".
20070730_213603_7_rigid_foam_in.jpg

Outer Furring Strips being installed.
20070731_084040_07a_outter_furr.jpg

Radiant / vapor barrier installed all around. Seems sealed with foil tape.
20070730_213818_8_radiant_barri.jpg

The Kenmore AC unit.
20070730_214001_9_Kenmore_AC_un.jpg

Great..nice looking work
smiley4.gif

In a few month you will want a second one if you have been bitten.
All we ever built was a wine rack and i needed half of my friends at home and on this forum to help me get it straight.

Edited by: scotty

Interior plywood going up.
20070731_082421_10_interior_ply.jpg

Door Installed - quite the learning experince.
20070731_082505_11_Door_Install.jpg

Inside looking out.
20070731_082651_12_inside_out.jpg

Way to go David. You are Coasting right along on that project. It will be done bfor you know it and have it stashed full of bounty. You better be careful. It looks like you could get hammered in there in that last picture.
smiley20.gif

I am duly impressed! We are loaded with talent on this forum and not just for making wine. Keep the pics coming.

smiley32.gif

Great job coaster! Ive gotta get my butt working on what I can afford
to do in my win cellar(the room to store all my bottled wine. Its all
painted but I still have to trim it, put down the floor which I already
have but just havent the ambition to do lately, and build a lot of
wineracks which Im not really looking forward to doing as I need alot
of them to store all my bottles but I guess thats not a bad thing.

Ready for plywood
20070801_154554_13_outside_with.jpg

Plywood installed.
20070801_154704_14_Outside_Plyw.jpg

I think I am going to paint the outside. Not sure what to do with the inside (I might clear coat it) because I've heard you should use only latex paint. I need some interior trim and I need to choose flooring (I might do tile).

For an amatuer wood worker you did an exceptional job coaster. You can work on my house any time you like!
smiley36.gif

It's all coming together great Coaster. It should be great when you get it done and full.

I keep trying to decide if I want to make a wine making room out in the garage. If I do that I will make a room 8x14. I have pegboard on the one wall already and have the outside insulated good. My garage is 10 feet high so I could put in 2x8 PT sleepers and run plumbing drains in them to an outside drywell. I have cold water there already and could pull hot water through the wall. I would frame it in and insulate it to keep the temp at fermenting temps. I already have some wine racks for storage.

But then in another year I will be needing bigger accomaodations for an acre of grapes. I have the old dairy barn I plan to use. There is a large room of 32 x 30 feet that I will use for general working and storage and then there is the old milk room with running water and electricity I will use for cleanup and such. I also have an area of the barn that had been torn down that has the cement floor with reinforcing- and is build into a slight hill. I figure I could burrow under that and make a wine cave for storage.

Enough rambling. Nice job with your storage area. I can't wait to get going on mine!
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif

Problem is Appleman you have too much room to do anything and that just leaves you contemplating what to do!
smiley36.gif

Wade,

You can NEVER have too much room! That applies to hard drives, garages, sailboats, and wine rooms. Ain't life grand?

Nice project Coaster. I am interested to see that most of the wine room
projects on the forum have AC in them. I don't think that is necessary
for me here on the rock on Rainy.

Outside painted.
20070814_175017_15_painted_outs.jpg

Looking in at new paneling and light and one of the new racks.
20070814_175118_16_Panel_and_li.jpg

Inside looking out.
20070814_175232_17_inside_looki.jpg

The AC is a 15,100 BTU Kenmore. Says it cools up to 800 ft2. This room is about 55 ft2 and, when set to 60, will cool to 57. There is still some out gassing in the room so I haven't moved any bottles in (well thatand I still need to label them and the labels won't stick to cold bottles). Edited by: Coaster

Awesome job, I love the rustic knotty pine look. I actually started
working on my wine cellar again as it has cooled off down here finally.
Im working on the the tiled flooring. Im very impressed with your work,
ESPECIALLY for someone who doesnt do this type of stuff for a living.
Sometimes your better off that way. Kinda like knowing a mechanic that
drives a beater cause the last thing he wants to do is get out of work
and work on his own car!

Latest posts

Back