Dandelion wine too sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuie

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 1gal batch of dandelion wine fermenting. The problem I'm having is that it is way way too sweet. Below is the recipe I used:

3 qts dandelion flowers
1 lb golden raisins
1 gallon water
3 lbs granulated sugar
2 lemons
1 orange
yeast and nutrient

I don't remember the exact strain of yeast I used other than it was red star Montrachet yeast for white wines.

My OG was 1.130, my past 2 SG readings both 2 days apart are holding at 1.020. I'm treading right around 14% ABV. I don't mind my wines sweet but this is pancake syrup sweet. I understand that my yeast is about drunk and won't ferment anymore. Would it be possible to maybe restart with a champaign yeast or any other recommended higher alcohol tolerance yeast strains? Or is there anything else I can do to get it to dry up some?

Try some lalvin 1118. I started a batch at 1.135 and had it ferment dry

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last edited:
Thanks! I will give it a try. I was worried mixing yeast strains would ruin batch.

Honestly I haven't tried it but I know it is recommend for stuck fermentation. It worth a shot. I don't believe you will ruin anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Next time don't start the SG so high. Very few yeasts are going to run it dry with it that high. Start around 1.090 - 1.100 at the most and then after it ferments dry, backsweeten it to your liking.

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely keep that in mind on next time around. I figured OG was a little high.

Hi Takuie and welcome. Any chance you can obtain some more dandelions? You could simply start another batch with far less (or no sugar) sugar and then add your fermenting must to the second gallon. This would dilute the alcohol in half (but not the flavor) and your yeast would working with the sugar available. If you started this new batch with no sugar the nominal starting gravity would be about 1.065 (a potential ABV of about 8.5%) . If you added 1 lb of sugar to the two gallons that would increase the gravity to about 1.085 and your yeast should have no problem with that. This will give you a potential ABV of about 11%. You would want to also add more nutrient and raisins and fruit.

It's easy to make a wine too sweet I made my strawberry wine too dang sweet! So I changed the profile to a strawberry margarita style wine by adding some vodka, lemon and lime to it, taste just like a strawberry margarita!:dg It will be a great summer drink! Like a wine or over crushed ice

Hi Takuie and welcome. Any chance you can obtain some more dandelions? You could simply start another batch with far less (or no sugar) sugar and then add your fermenting must to the second gallon. This would dilute the alcohol in half (but not the flavor) and your yeast would working with the sugar available. If you started this new batch with no sugar the nominal starting gravity would be about 1.065 (a potential ABV of about 8.5%) . If you added 1 lb of sugar to the two gallons that would increase the gravity to about 1.085 and your yeast should have no problem with that. This will give you a potential ABV of about 11%. You would want to also add more nutrient and raisins and fruit.

Normally they are in full bloom here till about mid May but with all the unseasonably cool weather and frog choking rains they are slim pickings at best. Adding a second much less sweeter batch to it is an excellent idea.

And thank you all for the welcomes and tips! I used to make wine with my uncle as a kid and have been brewing my own beer for a while. I haven't had a nice glass of dandelion or muscadine wine in a long time. Figured I would remedy that and make me some!

Latest posts

Back