Damned Bear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
This what happens when you live close to nature! I had the choke cherries all but picked! I nurtchured them and cleaned out around them and made it easy for the bear!!
20090822_125339_Raspberries_gon.jpg

Before the bear!
20090822_125515_Bear_vs_chokech.jpg

After the bear!
20090822_125609_Bear_vs_chokech.jpg

And to add insult to injury!

Looks like the bear started to ferment them..... LOL !

I hope you at least got some for wine..

I have a lot more trees in the wild, but he is breaking down quite a few. From the size of that calling card, I hope I don't meet him!! I usually take a dog with me when I am picking.

Looks like you better bring more then a dog with you for that load!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif
Sorry to hear about your berry loss and tree.
smiley19.gif

Is there a chance you can still salvage any of the berries in that pile? HAHA

I just can't "bear" to hear this sad story Barney! Maybe you need a new rug in front of that beautiful fireplace you have.

20090807_072141_Wood_Fireplace_.jpg

Imagine a nice bearskin rug in fron of this baby. AHHHHHH. Sweet revenge!

That's really to bad about losing those choke cherries..
smiley19.gif
..I do like Appleman's idea on what to do about it...
smiley36.gif

Barney, sorry to hear about the bear! Last year I thought there would be lots of chokecherries and turned out none left for me by the time went to pick them. Blamed it on the birds but it could have been bear - we had sightings of a cub in the driveway earlier in the summer.

I am wide-eyed at how close to the building those chokes are and still the bear came for the fruit. A dog is a good idea - for early warning and a bit of protection. Better be a big dog by the look of what he left behind though!

Coffee!! Now that's a good idea! Maybe I'll send you some grounds, Gaudet! Pelican, The garage is at my neighbor's house and they only visit a few times a year so there is no one to disturb the bear unless it's me!

Here in NH we are having issues with Bears as well. Looks like that one had a nice feast. Just glad he didnt find any fermented ones. Talk about one with a hang over to avoid......

Barney, wouldn't you know it? Late this afternoon my husband went back out to the Chokecherry patch (we'd been there early afternoon), and found.... same as shown in your picture! I'd post a pic but, our dog went to doggie heaven last fall and I'm not going out into bear country armed with only a camera!!! LOL

At least I have enough chokecherries picked already. sure sign of summer coming to a close is when the wildlife start raiding. Our deer are well trained not to come into the garden until I've gotten my share or the first frost whichever comes first -- but I'm thinking I had better pick my cabbage soon.

Unfortunately one corn plot is still only about 4 foot tall. Do you think playing a radio out in the corn patch at night might keep Smokey out??

hannabarn said:
Coffee!! Now that's a good idea! Maybe I'll send you some grounds, Gaudet! Pelican, The garage is at my neighbor's house and they only visit a few times a year so there is no one to disturb the bear unless it's me!

I was just saying they make coffee for partially digested coffee beans found in the dung piles of I think its a monkey somewhere. So its not so far fetced that you could do a wine from the same process, however I bet it tastes like crap.............
smiley32.gif

Pelican; I have heard that raccons like CW not sure about bears...
smiley36.gif

PS. Got 28# of chokecherries yesterday....freezer is getting full

Barney,
I really suggest something with a muzzle on it when you go out fruit picking, and I'm not talking about a dog! A big gun should be with you when you're out there...

Barney

A big'un a real big'un!!

A nice syrah would go good with bear - - -

Barbecued Bear by: Lennie

3 lbs. Bear steak, cut in 2-inch cubes
1 piece salt pork, cut up
1 cup catsup
1/3 cup steak sauce
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder

1. Trim all fat from bear steak and cut into 2-inch cubes.
2. Sear meat on all sides with salt pork in a heavy fry pan.
3. Place meat in casserole.
4. Add rest of ingredients to fry pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
5. Pour sauce over meat in casserole.
6. Cover and bake for at least 2 hours in a 325 F oven, stirring occasionally <BR soft>until meat is tender.

see - - - - you can have your wine and - - - -

rrawhide
smiley32.gif

smiley20.gif
That sounds like a good recipe. I have some bear meat in the freezer from a bear that my son got last fall. I think we might try that!

Back