Cursed by the wine gods...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truebrew

Reaction score
I've been cursed by the wine gods...no question.

I started my apple concentrate wine (Keller) to make SP. The SG was 1.116! I added a little water, not much 'cause I didn't want to dilute the flavor and that brought it down a smidgen to 1.114. Against my better judgment, I went ahead and added the activated yeast (Pasteur Champagne) yesterday. This morning, I stirred and there's foaming when I stirred so the yeast is working but the smell is unpleasant. Yup, rotten eggs. I splash racked several times. Odor diminished but is still there.

So, I have two problems...high SG and stinkiness. Now what? Do I dump this batch? (Will be the 2nd one in the space of 1 week.) Geez, at this rate, I'll catch up to Sarah's loss pretty soon, 1 gallon at a time!

LEAVE IT ALONE

You are smelling fermentation.

Other than the high gravity you should be OK

LEAVE IT ALONE

You are smelling fermentation.

Other than the high gravity you should be OK

I concur, expecially with the apple wine. Seems that fermentation is always a little smellier. If anything start another gallon batch to dilute the high alcohol of this one.

OK, fermentation smell, got it. Problem 1 solved. (That was easy!)

Prob. 2: Since I was making this to put the whole thing in SP, do you think it'll be ok NOT to dilute it by making another batch and blending? Just wait until it reaches the proper SG and use this high potency stuff? Or, will that mangle the correct "profile" of the SP?

By the way, you can keep most of the apple wine and just throw the dredges in the S.P. Probably won't get too much apple taste anyway. Should make the S. P. take off that way too. That way you get some apple wine also. Wait til it is down to 1. 010 or so and rack it off. Throw the leftovers in the Skeeter Pee. Arne.

OK, prob. 2 solved. Thanks, Arne!

You guys sure know how to soothe the winemaking jitters!

Latest posts

Back