Current Prices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy in bulk Sams club
25lb bag of sugar somewhere around $8
50 x 25lbs of sugar (pallet) $375
LOL
we buy pallets at a time for feeding the bees through winter and of course I get a bag or 2 or 3 for making wine when need be.

went to Giant Eagle today to pick up a few juices for my Chocolate Choke Cherry wine. And what to my waundering eyes should appear. Old Orchard Juices on sale. 2 for $3.00

Blueberry Pomegranate especially. It was a huge hit last year and time to do more. I bought all of their B.P. juices and went to a second G.E. and bought 6 more so I can do 12 gallons this time. Bought 24 in all.

All the other Old Orchard juices were on sale so folks check em out if you need any in the near future.

went to Giant Eagle today to pick up a few juices for my Chocolate Choke Cherry wine. And what to my waundering eyes should appear. Old Orchard Juices on sale. 2 for $3.00

Blueberry Pomegranate especially. It was a huge hit last year and time to do more. I bought all of their B.P. juices and went to a second G.E. and bought 6 more so I can do 12 gallons this time. Bought 24 in all.

All the other Old Orchard juices were on sale so folks check em out if you need any in the near future.

Good deal. May have to make a trip this weekend while the wife is at a baby shower.

Tell her to take some soap! Clean out Crafton G.E. Doug, this was the wine Olesia loved.

Tell her to take some soap! Clean out Crafton G.E. Doug, this was the wine Olesia loved.

I plan on cleaning them out. I still have the recipe in my phone that you tested me so I didn't lose it. May look to see about getting 24 cans and possible some grape for various other projects.

Steve:

Which of the Big-birds did you clean out?? Since we are both in the South Hills, don't want to make a trip & find them empty. I my want to try this also. I'm guessing 2 for $3.00 is a good price for the juice..... Can you shoot me the recipe for a 5-6 gal batch.
AL

Brentwood was the first place I cleaned out then down to Caste Village for a few more. Brentwood restocks weekly. Try WalMart or Sams Club if you are a member. Next time I go to G.E. I'll look and let you know.

Kuhn's carries that brand but not a big selection. Shame because they are a lot cheaper than G.E.

I send the recipe to you. May even start a blog on here for it for others.

Give me a lead time on this and I'll share the acid numbers etc with you in advance. This was one of the top wines I made that people loved, next to Lon's Skeeter Pee. I will make a skeeter pee from this as well.

If you wouldn't mind sending me that recipe also. Id like to compare it to the batch i started in Jan.

I am going to try putting some recipes that I am doing in my blog that I created over the weekend. The Blueberry Pomegranate is the first one. I had to get some more sugar today...WalMrt %#'s for $3.64 Cheaper than GFS at that price.

The Blog is the 4th menu item in the 2nd brown bar at the top of the page. I'll try to start the recipe tonight. So far, 12 cans froz. juice, 12 inverted cups sugar, water to 6 gallons and 21 drops pectic enzyme. Gravity 1.080

I'll have the ph and acid later tonight on my blog. This stuff smells fabulous!

I am going to try putting some recipes that I am doing in my blog that I created over the weekend. The Blueberry Pomegranate is the first one. I had to get some more sugar today...WalMrt %#'s for $3.64 Cheaper than GFS at that price.

The Blog is the 4th menu item in the 2nd brown bar at the top of the page. I'll try to start the recipe tonight. So far, 12 cans froz. juice, 12 inverted cups sugar, water to 6 gallons and 21 drops pectic enzyme. Gravity 1.080

I'll have the ph and acid later tonight on my blog. This stuff smells fabulous!

Not sure how may lbs of sugar you were referring to, but 25 lbs at costco is about $13.00.

Hard to beat that price.

Doug, are you really saving any money buying that big of a bag? I checked that out at Sam's Club and the price per pound was just about the same for 10# or 25#. It made more sense to buy the 10's as they were easier to handle and store.

10 pounds would be 1 batch. 25 goes quick enough.

I just went thru 15 pounds today. I'm starting to think I need a room each for fermenting, clearing, aging, backsweetening and one for ready to bottle.

Remember the song Signs? Sign Sign everywhere a sign....Switch that with carboys:):):):):)

Doug, are you really saving any money buying that big of a bag? I checked that out at Sam's Club and the price per pound was just about the same for 10# or 25#. It made more sense to buy the 10's as they were easier to handle and store.

Compared to Giant Eagle prices on sugar I end up saving about $6.00 on that quantity. I'd have to double check their prices. The 25 lb at costco is reasonably priced in my opinion. A 50lb bag was $26 and some changed. Not much savings buying that vs 2-25lb. There is a definate savings though and I just store on the bottom shelf of our pantry cabinet. Depending on the wine you are making, it doesn't last long with the fruit wines.

So Tom, is there a rough guide or rule of thumb how much or % of sugar you would expect to get from your fruit. Starting off with "X" as a gravity and then add fruit, how much higher would one guestimate the gravity would increase?

All fruit will have different sugar levels. I mean if you get strawberry from 1 place if will have a different sugar level if you get strawberry from a different farm.
This is why you do not add sugar blindly from a recipe.

if you ask you can get 25 lb of sugar for $11 and change anytime some carry the 25 lb bags all the time some don't but they can order for ya

Latest posts

Back