WineXpert Crushendo stuck at 1.000?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I started a Crushendo Corvina Clasico. I thought I did everything right, in retrospect I may have added a half gallon of water too little. Now I've moved it to a 6.5 gall carboy and it looks about a gallon from the top.

When I transfered from the primary I really got ALL of the wine. I also got a lot of sediment but left the seeds and skins behind. I'm into the wine about 14 days and it has stopped bubbleing and showing any sign of fermenting.
I was getting ready to rack again and tested it with my hydrometer and it came to 1.000 even.

I tasted it and it is very good, a touch sweet (but that could just be the style of the wine itself).

I'm wondering, could not adding enough water stop it from fermenting all the way?

I was thining of adding a little water to it anyway, because I've noticed in some wines if they are too concentrated you don't get all the flavor nuances that you will get when they are appropriately hydrated.

Has anyone else ever noticed this, or have they ever stopped a crushedo at 1.000?

Thanks for any input,
Ryan

Ryan,

I made this kit and my final SG was 0.998 so the difference between 1.000 and 0.998 could be explained by error in hydrometer, temperature and actual reading of scale.

This kit ends with a higher SG than most dry reds due to the amount of solids in the wine from the skins.

If it hasn't been 10 days from the initial transfer from the primary I would wait a full 10 and then continue per the instructions.

I do not believe the fermentation has stopped prematurely.

Good point. I forgot about temperature...
smiley18.gif

That makes sense and it probably is done I would bet. It really tasted fine, but I wasn't sure.

I made this wine as well - it had the highest ending SG of all the kits I have made as well. It is still a dry wine. I began the wine last December and it really is excellent so far. I like to age mine with oak, so it will be another month or two before I bottle. Don't worry about the 1.000 sg if it is stable. (I think I ended up calling George on this one myself).

Enjoy!

Just checked my notes and my SG was a bit high also .998. Your wine will be fine. The one thing I have noticed is that this wine needs to age . Mine is 1 year old this month amd Its mot ready yet.

Bill

Latest posts

Back