Quantcast

Crush Day, Advice

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Mac60

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
173
Reaction score
245
Wow I just fermenting 2- 50 gallon batchs of Old Vine Zins 1 with D254 and 1 with D80, did the same with 2 25 gallon batches of Cabs. First time using Lallzyme Ex-V and Opti Red and wow what a defference in the color and maceration of the skins. Here's my question, I'm into day 7 was planning to press on Saturday, based on last years numbers but I just checked the SG and on the D254 Zins and Cabs I'm at .99 the D80 Zins and Cabs are almost there also. Can I wait another few days (Thurs,Friday) and press Saturday morning or should I press on Friday.
BTW. The fermentation was flawless, no Hydrogen sulfide gassing,beautiful smell & color Caps were easier to push down this year not as dense as last year when I used pectic enzyme vs Lallzyme.
Its amazing how I can taste the difference in the same batch of grapes with the different yeasts D254 & D80 its really impressive. The numbers on the grapes were really good to start and with some minor adjustments I now have the Zins PH 3.56 TA.78 Cabs 3.60 TA.80 Starting Brix on Zins 24, Cabs 22
Mike
 

Attachments

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Joined
Jun 16, 2014
Messages
1,729
Reaction score
1,739
Looks good!

I have routinely gone longer on the skins, so I wouldn't have a problem waiting for Saturday. I assume you have a cover for the vat, otherwise use a plastic sheet, in addition to the cover, I often will cut a piece of 4mil plastic and lay directly on the cap if extending the duration for long periods. I would still open each day and give a stir to ensure no H2S. I generally don't disturb the cap the day before pressing.
 

mainshipfred

Junior Member
WMT Supporter
Joined
Feb 25, 2017
Messages
4,080
Reaction score
2,772
Location
Centerville, Northern Virginia
Looks good!

I have routinely gone longer on the skins, so I wouldn't have a problem waiting for Saturday. I assume you have a cover for the vat, otherwise use a plastic sheet, in addition to the cover, I often will cut a piece of 4mil plastic and lay directly on the cap if extending the duration for long periods. I would still open each day and give a stir to ensure no H2S. I generally don't disturb the cap the day before pressing.
Never heard of the plastic idea. Might have to start trying that. Good tip!
 

Ajmassa

just a guy
Joined
Oct 25, 2016
Messages
4,042
Reaction score
4,038
Location
S. Jersey/Philadelphia area
For perspective I just did this. Was dry by Sunday morning. Didn’t press till Tuesday night. Left cap intact for those 2+ days.
-No So2 at crush.
-Native yeast.
-No nutrients at all.
-Sitting idle while dry.
Noticed some h2s at press. Racking off lees substantially less odor. Possibly another rack soon to ensure removal.
Even with all those factors working against it (almost daring the wine have bad issues) was still nothing terrible. And simple o2 has been the remedy. (Pushed the envelope intentionally)
 

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
14,397
Reaction score
12,182
Location
DC Suburbs
I think you're probably OK, as others have mentioned. I've delayed a day or two in the past and though I was a little nervous about it, everything turned out fine. There's a lot of CO2 in that wine at this point. I do kind of like the idea of the plastic for insurance though.
 

Mac60

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2016
Messages
173
Reaction score
245
Thank everyone I really appreciate your all your input.I misstated the title of the tread, It should have read PRESS DAY, not crush day...

Mike
 
Top