Crush Day, Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow I just fermenting 2- 50 gallon batchs of Old Vine Zins 1 with D254 and 1 with D80, did the same with 2 25 gallon batches of Cabs. First time using Lallzyme Ex-V and Opti Red and wow what a defference in the color and maceration of the skins. Here's my question, I'm into day 7 was planning to press on Saturday, based on last years numbers but I just checked the SG and on the D254 Zins and Cabs I'm at .99 the D80 Zins and Cabs are almost there also. Can I wait another few days (Thurs,Friday) and press Saturday morning or should I press on Friday.
BTW. The fermentation was flawless, no Hydrogen sulfide gassing,beautiful smell & color Caps were easier to push down this year not as dense as last year when I used pectic enzyme vs Lallzyme.
Its amazing how I can taste the difference in the same batch of grapes with the different yeasts D254 & D80 its really impressive. The numbers on the grapes were really good to start and with some minor adjustments I now have the Zins PH 3.56 TA.78 Cabs 3.60 TA.80 Starting Brix on Zins 24, Cabs 22
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20181002_190401017 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_20181002_190401017 (640x480).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20181002_190341486_BURST001 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_20181002_190341486_BURST001 (640x480).jpg
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20181003_144647843.jpg
    IMG_20181003_144647843.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
Looks good!

I have routinely gone longer on the skins, so I wouldn't have a problem waiting for Saturday. I assume you have a cover for the vat, otherwise use a plastic sheet, in addition to the cover, I often will cut a piece of 4mil plastic and lay directly on the cap if extending the duration for long periods. I would still open each day and give a stir to ensure no H2S. I generally don't disturb the cap the day before pressing.

Looks good!

I have routinely gone longer on the skins, so I wouldn't have a problem waiting for Saturday. I assume you have a cover for the vat, otherwise use a plastic sheet, in addition to the cover, I often will cut a piece of 4mil plastic and lay directly on the cap if extending the duration for long periods. I would still open each day and give a stir to ensure no H2S. I generally don't disturb the cap the day before pressing.

Never heard of the plastic idea. Might have to start trying that. Good tip!

For perspective I just did this. Was dry by Sunday morning. Didn’t press till Tuesday night. Left cap intact for those 2+ days.
-No So2 at crush.
-Native yeast.
-No nutrients at all.
-Sitting idle while dry.
Noticed some h2s at press. Racking off lees substantially less odor. Possibly another rack soon to ensure removal.
Even with all those factors working against it (almost daring the wine have bad issues) was still nothing terrible. And simple o2 has been the remedy. (Pushed the envelope intentionally)

I think you're probably OK, as others have mentioned. I've delayed a day or two in the past and though I was a little nervous about it, everything turned out fine. There's a lot of CO2 in that wine at this point. I do kind of like the idea of the plastic for insurance though.

Thank everyone I really appreciate your all your input.I misstated the title of the tread, It should have read PRESS DAY, not crush day...

Mike

Back