RJ Spagnols Cru Select Pinot Noir didn't come with bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
Greetings! This is my first post and I'm about to start my first wine kit. The instruction indicate bentonite should be included but I can't find the package anywhere. I've removed absolutely everything from the box, including the juice bag ... no bentonite.

Is it ok to proceed without it? And if not, can I just get a replacement at my local wine shop? I assume there's nothing unique about the kit bentonite, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!

Jason

You could call the RJS customer support number on the bottom of the instruction sheet to confirm that it is supposed to be included. I just opened my third Grand Cru International kit and the instructions seem to be common to all the kits in that line. I called their customer support page yesterday to ask a question about the age of a kit. I got their answer machine which requested that I leave my number and they'll call back. "Right?" was my initial thought but I left a message and my number. 20 minutes late the phone rang and it was a customer service rep from RJS. She answered my question, no problem. I thought that was fine customer service.

If the kit is supposed to include the bentonite you could take the entire kit back to the store your purchased the kit and ask to exchange it. They could the deal with the return process with RJS and let you move on to the enjoyable acts of wine making.

If you just wanted to suck it up, I would agree that bentonite is bentonite and you should be able to buy some at the LHBS. I just don't know the proper amount to add to a kit.

Good luck and happy wine making.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is the California Pinot Noir and this kit does come with bentonite - about 25 grams or so and, yes, you should get some and add it. It helps with clearing later and also provides other benefits. Your wine shop will likely have some surplus packs that they can give you ( did you get your wine there?) or some to sell you.
This kit should also have some Hungarian oak cubes - were those included? I assume you got the sulphite, sorbate and clearing agents (2 parts).
Oh, and welcome to a great forum!

Greg, Dugger,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your posts are very helpful.

Yes, the kit is the California Pinot Noir. And fortunately, I have everything else listed on the instruction sheet, including the Hungarian oak cubes, etc. I bought the kit at my LHBS so I should be able to get this taken care of, one way or another.

I knew the instructions were kind of generic and thought maybe RJS didn't intend to include bentonite with this particular kit. Glad I didn't get impatient and start yesterday, though it was a bit like opening a toy on Christmas morning and realizing you didn't have batteries. But, it's not like I was going to drink it yesterday either....

Thanks again,
Jason

I received a shipment of the California White Zinfindel with date code of 20091118. I didn't know what expected shelf life was so I broke down and called RJS. 2 Years was the official response so moving forward I go. I didn't want to cross a point of no return if the kit did not turn out. Better to take care of problems before you make the plunge.

I'd love to know how that turns out. My wife loves Pinot Noir. We started with a WE Vintner Reserve Pinot Noir which she likes. I'd like to move up a notch when we do another Pinot Noir.

Good luck and enjoy.

JordanPond - I've made this PN a few times and find it to be very good, especially at 2 years. I usually add the oak cubes to the carboy for about a month, I believe, although this may not be for everyone. I just opened a bottle of a 1 year old batch yesterday and it still has a ways to go to match the 2 year old bottles.
I also just started another RJS Pinot - the GCI 12 liter kit - to see how it compares to the Cru Select one, but it will be a while before I find out. I am not oaking in the carboy so hopefully it will be drinkable sooner.

Bentonite is not required. It will help in fining, but if you are going to age it it should clear on its own anyway.

Like many things we add to wine, bentonite is not required. However, it does have benefits - in addition to it's clearing action, it also helps remove some off flavours from the wine and also helps in reducing oxidation. I'm not aware of any downsides to using it but there are benefits so I would certainly include it.

cru select pinot noir

I made this kit and out of all the kits I have made it is my favorite it was drinkable at 8 months and just kept on getting better I never had any that got to age longer then 14 months

Bentonite added up front in a kit is mainly utilized to carry the yeast into suspension.

Try to get some from your LHBS, but if you can't, it is not absolutely necessary, so go ahead with your kit. Wait about 24 hours after you pitch the yeast, then give it a good stir.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. For closure, I called RJS and they said the kit should have come with 30 grams of bentonite. I went to the LHBS where I bought the kit and they measured out a replacement for me, no problem. (Two thumbs up for The Home Wine, Beer and Cheesemaking Shop in Woodland Hills, CA!)

The wine has been stabilized and is starting to clear and is aging nicely. Looks like this actually might be drinkable some day. Very exciting!

Jason

I would call the RJS customer support. I'm sure they would be more than happy to send you a packet. It will probably come in a few days.

My two cents worth.

Didn't see the last post. Disregard this post. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. For closure, I called RJS and they said the kit should have come with 30 grams of bentonite. I went to the LHBS where I bought the kit and they measured out a replacement for me, no problem. (Two thumbs up for The Home Wine, Beer and Cheesemaking Shop in Woodland Hills, CA!)

The wine has been stabilized and is starting to clear and is aging nicely. Looks like this actually might be drinkable some day. Very exciting!

Jason

Glad you got it straightened out. You might have been OK without the bentonite, but for kits, the yeast really rely on it to carry them around and throughout the must.

Back