RJ Spagnols Cru Select NZ Sauvignon Blanc advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Reaction score
So my wife and I are big fans for New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs (Kim Crawford, Villa Maria, Oyster Bay etc.)

I've decided to make the Cru Select NZ Sauv Blanc. Has anyone made this before? How closely does it replicate the style?

I plan to change a few things.
First, I will NOT be adding the small pack of oak included.
Second, I want to swap out the yeast (EC-1118)

What yeast would people suggest? I have a Lalvin K1V-1116 and have access to every strain of Wyeast locally.

Thanks in advance

Brad

I'll be starting that kit soon using QA23 yeast and with my usual tweaks (and skipping the oak).

Well, this thread was a reminder to get going on this kit. I've had it for 7 months and the manufacture date was 15 months ago, so I was a bit worried, but the juice looked, smelled and tasted quite nice when I pitched yeast a few days ago. Today it is rip-roaring along and the wine room smells great. This makes me look forward to the dog-days of summer next year!

So I decided to make this without the included oak and I used Lalvin K1V-1116
It is clearing in the carboy. I plan to rack to another carboy in 3-4 week then add 100g of Acacia cubes for 1-2 weeks, then age for another 2-3 months. It should be great for the summer 2015!

Latest posts

Back