Cranberry Lime

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooking up some sparkoloid as I type. I'll add that when it's ready then rack again in a week or 2. Racked this am to get off the initial lees.

Cranberry Lime is starting to clear nicely after last racking and adding sparkoloid. Still not perfectly clear but it's getting there. I'll rack off the sparkoloid created lees next Monday.

ok Doug, I transferred the Lemon/Lime Pee to a carboy last night. I will toss in the meta and benzoate tonight, or should I let it clear first? OR should I add a cup of sparkloid? and when does the cranberry get added?

ok Doug, I transferred the Lemon/Lime Pee to a carboy last night. I will toss in the meta and benzoate tonight, or should I let it clear first? OR should I add a cup of sparkloid? and when does the cranberry get added?

I generally allow my wines to clear sit for 2-3 weeks after transferring to carboy then rack again. At that point I would stabilize if fermentation is complete and add clearing agent if needed. The pee will generally clear on it's own. I added Sparkoloid because mine in the 55 degree cellar was going no where. It's just about totally clear now and I'll rack off the sparkoloid lees in a week or two. I don't recall if I stabilized this batch yet, I'd have to check my records. Will likely shoot for cranberry juice the end of the month then let clear again.

Will be transferring the Cranberry Lime to a bucket for back sweetening today. Going to initially shoot for 1.008 and go from there. May end up running it through the filter after I'm done before it goes back into carboy for another couple weeks of aging. We'll see what time I have available.

Still need to bottle the remaining 5 gallons, but here's what was left from the partial gallon. 2 more bottles are the cellar.

View attachment 6864

Wow, that's a beautiful color! I'll have to try this version soon. Our Dragon's Blood and Tropical fruit skeeter pee are both coming along nicely. I've never tried this stuff before, so this is a totally new experience. But it sure smells amazing and I think Cranberry Lime would be delish also!

My wife said the lime is more prominent in this batch than the Cranberry but still very good. I think the next batch I'll cut back to on the lime and also the lemon, maybe go 32 oz lemon and 30 oz of lime but still back sweeten with 1 can of concentrate per gallon. I'm considering adding another can or 2 of concentrate but I don't want it too sweet.

Right now, to me, this could be very dangerous. A bottle went down way to easy between 2 of us.

Going to try and get the Cranberry Lime Pee bottled today on my lunch break. Have a full 5 gallons, should get 25 bottles based on the size of the carboy. Guess the extra one will get a tasting cork.

What type of cranberry juice are you racking it onto? I can't find any 100% frozen concentrate in the store, only 100% that is mixed with white grape.

There is a Welchs cranberry frozen concentrate, not 100%, that has corn syrup and other stuff already in it. I assume that would be ok since the point is to sweeten it up some with the cranberry flavor.

Last edited:
Going to bottle this this weekend. Had to go with Orchard Spray 100% Cranberry Blend. Took a taste of the finished wine and it will be interesting to see what a few months in the bottle does for it. Can definitely taste the lime juice with a hint of cranberry. I am thinking the lime will mellow and the cranberry will come forward.

Thinking of starting a batch of this. Seems like cranberry is not the forward flavor, and I would like it to be, but without making it too sweet. Couple questions.

Anyone think about using cranberry juice as a base instead of water? Any pros/cons to that as far as anyone can see?

Also, anyone using whole cranberries in this? Just like, get six pounds and press them a la dragon blood?

Obviously I wouldn't probably do both of these things together, but one or the other, I am leaning toward whole cranberries but don't want to if there is some reason not to that I am unaware of.

Cheers.

Just bottled my cranberry/lime this weekend. It is awesome. I can't wait to let it sit bottled for a couple of months and then start popping corks. This will definitely be one of my "keeper" recipes.
Thanks Doug.

CBell said:
Thinking of starting a batch of this. Seems like cranberry is not the forward flavor, and I would like it to be, but without making it too sweet. Couple questions.

Anyone think about using cranberry juice as a base instead of water? Any pros/cons to that as far as anyone can see?

Also, anyone using whole cranberries in this? Just like, get six pounds and press them a la dragon blood?

Obviously I wouldn't probably do both of these things together, but one or the other, I am leaning toward whole cranberries but don't want to if there is some reason not to that I am unaware of.

Cheers.

.this weekend ill be bottling my cranberry/like skeeter. It's cranberry season in south jersey, so I had to empty my freezer of 9 pounds of frozen cranberry .

9# cranberry
2 bottles lime juice (30 oz)
Inerted 18 cup sugar. 9 cup water
All the usual chems
Top up to 6 gal SG 1.074
Montrachet yeast ( all I had)
Used the pressed method. The berries mushed up nice after a couple days
Followed Dave's recipe
After stabilizing, back sweeten with 2 cans cranberry concentrate
Nice!

My tropical breeze turned out a winner too
Endless possibilities thanks Dave!