Cranberry Lime

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started a batch of pee this morning, decided that this will be a batch of Cranberry Lime since I recently bottled a batch of normal pee. I'll add 30 oz of lime around 1040 then backsweeten with a can of frozen cranberry at a rate of 1 can per gallon. Initial sg was 1082 and I'm using 1116 yeast.

I won't even consider bottling until the middle of February at the earliest. I just need to get stocked up for summer. Last year we went through 20+ gallons.

I've been strirring the batch daily. Getting a nice foamy head upon stirring. I'll check SG on Friday and I anticipate being able to add lime at that point. Once SG hits 1.00 I'll transfer into a 6 gallon carboy until fermentation completes then I'll add the Cranberry concentrate around the end of January.

Checked the Sg this am. We were sitting at 1056 so I added remaining energizer, nutrient and lime juice. I'm figuring on needing to transfer to a carboy next weekend. Very slow ferment with it only being 55 degrees in the cellar.

Well after 2 weeks of this very slow cool ferment, my sg is down to 1.032. Still have a long way to go before it sees glass. Lime flavor is very prominent at this point. I used 48 oz of lemon at the begining and 45 oz of lime when I added that. I may have to start another batch of this after Christmas. It seems to be a bigger hit than the regular Skeeter Pee. Although I like them both.

Doug, I have been putting about 30 oz. of lime juice in a 5 gal. batch since the second batch I made. Seems like it smooths it out a bit. Last summer I kinda got behind with the stuff. Had 5 gal. that was clear and stabalized but not sweetened or bottled. I put a 14 oz. can of Cranberry in a gal. jug, racked it full of the s.p. Made a tasty hot weather drink. THe gallons didn't seem to last long, either. Good luck with yours. Arne. Oh, I also added a can of frozen strawberry to a couple of the gallons instead of the cranberry. Found it needed about a can and a half instead of just the can. It also made the wine very cloudy where the cranberry left it clear. Drank it anyway and the clouds didn't hurt a thing. Have some sitting now about ready to stabalize and bottle. Mite put strawberry in a gal. and let it sit til summer to see if it will clear. Arne.

Last edited:
I am going to ask that you guys continuously update this thread as Doug gave me the recipe and I'm attempting this one.

Well finally after 19 days I was able to transfer the Cranberry Lime Skeeter Pee into glass. SG made it to 1.000. Has great lime smell still.

Arne, I went with the 45 oz as this is a 6 gallon batch (actually about 6 1/2 gallon) and I wanted the lime and lemon ratios to be about equal. I have made it both ways in the past and both have turned out well. Once the cranberry gets added this won't see bottles until about April so it will be almost 5-6 months old and should have some time to smooth out.

I'll be starting another batch next month, maybe I'll give that a try with 32 oz lemon and 30 oz of lime. Time will tell.

So you used lemon and lime juice instead of all lemon? How does this affect the flavor, etc.?

So you used lemon and lime juice instead of all lemon? How does this affect the flavor, etc.?

Lemon up front, Lime at the second addition then back sweeten with a combination of Cranberry concentrate and sugar to your taste. What does the combination do? When back sweetening you get a nice lime flavor combined with the cranberry, the lemon if barely noticiable if at all. It's a very good combination.

I just added the rest of the nutrient at 1.050 and at 1.020 I'll add the 30 oz. of Reallime.

Doug,
Can you share your full recipe?
This sounds good....I might switch to lime/cranberry.
I just started my first batch of pee, added the slurry yesterday, and already this morning it's bubbling away. My slurry came from an Ice style reisling kit that I have in secondary now.
Thanks

Here is the base recipe I started with. I will say that I went with 48 oz lemon and 45 oz of lime and it turned out well last year.

Cranberry Lime Skeeter Pee

32 oz Real Lemon
32 oz Real Lime
16 Cups Sugar (1.080 sg)
¾ tsp tannin
Pectic enzyme per directions
Lavin 1118 yeast
6 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp yeast energizer
5 cans frozen cranberry concentrate.

Mix lemon surgar and necessary water to get to 6 ½ gallons. Add half the amount of nutrient and energizer. Add tannin and pectic enzyme. Create a yeast starter and pitch starter. When sg reaches 1.050 add remainder of enzyme and nutrient. At 1.010-1.020 add 32 oz of lime juice. Transfer to carboy when sg reaches 1.000 or lower. Allow fermentation to complete. Stabilize with kmeta and sorbate. Allow to clear or use sparkaloid to aid in clearing. Add 5 cans of frozen cranberry concentrate and additional sugar to sweeten to your taste. 1.010-1.020 is the general range. Allow to age and bottle when clear.

Additional lime can be added to taste or serve with a lime wedge .

Doug,

what flavor comes forward? I assume you bottled?

I have not bottled this year's batch. Temps in my cellar are only 55 degrees so it's slow clearing. Once back sweetened with the Cranberry you get both the Cranberry and the lime with the lime being a bit subdued. I've made it using the recipe above and also with 48/45 and both turn out well IMHO.

Latest posts

Back