Couple questions for my first batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bover907

Reaction score
Well, I got all the equipment I need today, and I am about ready to start my first batch. My first batch is going to be... *drumroll* Welch's Concord! Don't everyone start throwing tomatoes at once, lol. I am trying to replicate a really good concord a friend gave to me that was from a winery in Stroudsburg, PA.

First batch is going to be 6 gallons. I got 20 cans of Welch's concentrate. They didn't have any of the frozen concord, So I got the pourable concentrate. It's in aluminum soda cans, but they're 11.5oz, and juice directions are same as frozen (1 can and 3 cans of water) and there's no preservatives, so I assume it's going to be fine.

I've bookmarked a couple welch's recipes that all pretty much seem the same. Anyone have a recommendation as to the best recipe for 6 gallons?

So, here's my questions...
I am going to use rasins, About how many do I use? I saw on a video that someone simmered them in some water and crushed them with a spoon. do I need to do that, or just dump them right in the must?

Next question concerns the yeast. I got lalvin EC-1118. Do I need to do anything to the yeast before I add it? I've seen some people just pour their yeast packet right into the must. Or, should I just follow the directions on the packet, reconstituting in warm water?

Any help is appreciated. This is such a great community here. After I make this concord (wife only like's really sweet wines) It's on to some nice Cabernet-Sauv, or something for me!

bover907 said:
Well, I got all the equipment I need today, and I am about ready to start my first batch. My first batch is going to be... *drumroll* Welch's Concord! Don't everyone start throwing tomatoes at once, lol. I am trying to replicate a really good concord a friend gave to me that was from a winery in Stroudsburg, PA.

First batch is going to be 6 gallons. I got 20 cans of Welch's concentrate. They didn't have any of the frozen concord, So I got the pourable concentrate. It's in aluminum soda cans, but they're 11.5oz, and juice directions are same as frozen (1 can and 3 cans of water) and there's no preservatives, so I assume it's going to be fine.

I've bookmarked a couple welch's recipes that all pretty much seem the same. Anyone have a recommendation as to the best recipe for 6 gallons?

So, here's my questions...
I am going to use rasins, About how many do I use? I saw on a video that someone simmered them in some water and crushed them with a spoon. do I need to do that, or just dump them right in the must?

Next question concerns the yeast. I got lalvin EC-1118. Do I need to do anything to the yeast before I add it? I've seen some people just pour their yeast packet right into the must. Or, should I just follow the directions on the packet, reconstituting in warm water?

Any help is appreciated. This is such a great community here. After I make this concord (wife only like's really sweet wines) It's on to some nice Cabernet-Sauv, or something for me!

As for raisins what I do is place them in a strainer bag and gentle squeeze them a couple times a day during primary. 3 or 4lbs/ gal but it can vary depending on the recipe.

Yeast, I use that one all the time and I follow directions and haven't had a problem some say it's not necessary but I like to

just for some added information. For the yeast just sprinkle it on top no need to do anything else it will ferment with no problem. I have been doing that for years and have had no issues even with wine that have high acid etc. As far as concord juice wine you will be suprised how well it comes out. I made some a while back that was a black cherry / concord and I have had rave reviews, and it is a quick drinker.. Have fun

Sorry I forgot to talk about the other question. I put about 1/2 a box into a muslin bag that I get from my home brew store (real cheap) then I tie off the top without doing anything else to them. They will swell up just like when they were grapes you need to go in at least once a day and gently massage the bag to get the juice and goodness out. They will raise your beginning SG so watch out for that, if it gets to high you will hve a very potent grape wine and it will lose some of the flavor. Just a look out..

Alright, Got the batch into the Primary. Specific gravity was 1.084, but I estimated the must to be about 80ºF so corrected would be 1.087, right? Either way, I'm going to check it, and adjust if necessary tomorrow, before I pitch the yeast. The must should be fully cooled down by then.

Two more questions/thoughts...

The recipe called for 3 cans/gal of concentrate. That made a pretty syrupy looking must. Is that going to thin out as it 'becomes wine'?

Also, I read mixed feelings about using Potassium Metabisulfite in a concentrate must, but I figured, better safe than sorry, so I went ahead and used it.

Guess I have a little bit of OCD when it comes to this stuff. I'm not over-obsessing, am I?

The recipe called for 3 cans/gal of concentrate. That made a pretty syrupy looking must. Is that going to thin out as it 'becomes wine'?

Excellent questions. Remember, SG measures (for lack of a better word) "thinkness" of the must as compared to water (which would be 1.000). The wine will "thin" as it ferments, meaning the SG will go down until it is thinner than water (<1.000).

Also, I read mixed feelings about using Potassium Metabisulfite in a concentrate must, but I figured, better safe than sorry, so I went ahead and used it.

The concentrate wines usually do not require sulfiting, but it won't hurt. If you feel safer that way.

Guess I have a little bit of OCD when it comes to this stuff. I'm not over-obsessing, am I?

Like I always say, slightly OCD folks make great wine. You seem just obsessive enough! :b

Pitched the yeast about 12 hours ago, Looks like it's just starting to have some activity. Should I give it a stir when I get home from work tonight? That'll be about the 24 hour mark. I guess I'm asking, How do I know when to start stirring twice a day?

Also, for now I just have the lid sitting on top not snapped down. I put the bucket inside of one of those plastic tubs people put beer kegs in to ice them, just in case, Must is only like 2 or three inches from the top, so if I have an overflow incident it'll be contained.

How's it going Brain? I presume you are stirring now, since you asked two day ago.

I never snap down the lid on the ones I want to stir. Too much extra work to get it off and back on. I do cover the lid with an old sheet or blanket to keep out bugs.

The tub is a good idea. I've had overflows before.

Back