county road crew did me in

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
I've been watching 4 or 5 spots along some of the county roads where some big wild elderberries were growing. All of them loaded with flowers. Well, the county folks have been working on the roads around here and brought out the mowers. I drove by the other day and they had mowed along the roads out in my neck of the woods. None of the plants are there anymore.

What really upset me though is the wild blackberry that came up last year about 5 feet from the road in my front yard. It had a few tiny but sweet berries on three branches last year so I left it. This year it was loaded with berries. I run the
weedeater around it so it's not like it was overgrown along there and I
figured it was far enough back. I was wrong - I have one branch with some berries on it left standing, the rest is stubs.
smiley7.gif

Sigh... At least there are several runners that sprouted up this year next to the first plant. Maybe next year.

Tony

I know how you feel Gragon. Last year I found a bunch of blackberries along the RR Track. I figure this year I will rackup...WRONG...the RR Co. sprayed the R/W... killed everything. Heres crying on your shoulder
smiley19.gif

Bummer..If you wanted them to clear off something it would never get done

I had the same thing near me last year with a bunch of wild vines and they were loaded with grapes almost ready to pick, just needed about 1 more week and then the town came through and cut them all down.
smiley35.gif

My blackberry bushes relocated themselves to the herb garden a few years back, and I let them have their way. My kind and thoughtful and sweet wife thought I would appreciate having some help in the backyard where some bushes and edges had gotten overgrown while unwanted trees started working their way into the middle of the bushes. The neighbor's "helpful" and very well-equipped landscape company "trimmed" everything into oblivion, including half of the blackberries!! "Oh, you can eat those?" was the reply to my wife's dismay when she saw what had happened (I wasn't home at the time).

She was so scared to tell me, I thought something really horrible had happened when she said "I have some really bad news, and please don't get mad, but..."

Sometimes, even though it's the thought that counts, the results can be really, really bad for a long,long time...

Latest posts

Back