Could this Accuvin number be right??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I am making a RJ Spag EP Sauvignon Blanc. I went thru entire 8 week initial process and cold stabilized for another 2 weeks. I am bulk ageing for 6 months next and ran the Accuvin SO2 test and got what I guess is a 90. It went beyond green cap range and that was my best guess for red cap. I expected to add k meta. I did not taste or smell sulpher. The wine was great. But can the test number be that high? The only k meta addition was in the kit during clearing/degassing stage. Appreciate any advice.

I would guess that it could be if you were real carful and gentle with your racking. I have noticed the sulfites that come with the last 4 kits I have done is overkill. I learned how to preform the titrate test and add only what is needed. If I added the supplied sulfites (MM kits) I would have been in the 50 - 60 range.

Without a doubt I would say no. That initial pack should get you to around 60ppm but its going to drop after that no matter how careful you were.

Did you use a high range Accuvin for that test or the low range one.

Hi Mike. I used low range (green cap) to start. It was lighter than the highest 40 ppm number so I went to high range (red cap). There it posted what I would say is 90 ppm. It makes no sense to me too. I am continually frustrated by this Accuvin SO2 test kit and find it so subjective.

Yep, anybody who has ever used one feels the same way pretty much.Might as well throw a dart at a dart board, thats your SO2 level! You might be able to get it tested for cheap since your in Cali. Your other options are the Vinmetrica SO2 analyzer or the A/O rig sold online elsewhere on the intertubes.

What a drag. I do not want to invest any further into this hobby. I am already in too much. Do you recommend I leave this SO2 alone or should I do the blind 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon k meta dump at 3 month intervals and bottling?

My experience has been for whites that were bulk aged for 3 mo, 1/4tsp was needed.Reds only needed 1/8tsp past 6 months.

It is nice when concensus occurs! Are you saying you do not add any until 3 month (white) and 6 month (red)? Do you bottle then right after this add in? Is the best way for me to add k meta to a carboy by adding the dosage to small amount of water, stir, then drill mix the water/k meta in? Thx as always Wade and Mike.

No these are in addition to the initial dose (usually 5gm) added at the stabilizing and fining stage. We are talking "top up/off" dosages for down the road.

Sorry, I assumed that part. So does that mean you just drop the k meta into the carboy straight or mixed with wine first? And if those are your periodic bulk age doses what do you do at bottling time?

You can pull a carboy sample and mix it up and then add back and stir in if your in a hurry to bottle (same day) If you are going to wait a few days you can just pour it in and stir well, then stir once again just before bottling. Normally you would add your top off dose and then bottle within a day or two so you are topped off just before hand

Latest posts

Back