Correcting acid levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrah

Junior
Reaction score
I have made several batches of wine and have had good luck with all of them. I never checked SG or acid levels in any of them. I am currently making blueberry and had many issues. Thanks to this forum and so many people willing to help the issues are resolved. Learned much about PROPER wine making. I have the following batches aging that was done the old amateur way (no sg or acid checks) apple wine - 9 months old , strawberry wine - 7 months old, raspberry - 1 month old. Is it possible to correct the acid in these at this stage or just hope they taste good as is. I have not checked the acid levels yet because if it is to late then no need. All were made from fruit. Needless to say all wine will be done correctly from this point on.

I agree with Doug, if the acid is too high adding some sure and help balance it out or cold stabilizing will help lower the acid. If the acid is too low, this is very easily fixed by adding acid blend. TA for fruit wines should be around .55% & .75%. Once you are within that range, taste it to see if that is the crispness that you like.

I agree that you can certainly make adjustments now but I would not do so to fit a predetermined set of numbers. Taste it. If you like it then leave it it alone and if you don't then adjust it. Too many people push wine into a set of numbers. I prefer to think of numbers as an after the fact record keeping tool and not a target. Of course you will find that these targets are usually used because good wines often fall within them....but not always. How awful would it be to push a wine into a numerical range and find you don't like it when it tasted good before?

I checked the acid levels and here is what I got: Apple .6%, Strawberry .6% and Raspberry .7%. Shucks. This wine making is a piece of cake :). Thanks all for the comments and advice. It is truly appreciated.

I agree that you can certainly make adjustments now but I would not do so to fit a predetermined set of numbers. Taste it. If you like it then leave it it alone and if you don't then adjust it. Too many people push wine into a set of numbers. I prefer to think of numbers as an after the fact record keeping tool and not a target. Of course you will find that these targets are usually used because good wines often fall within them....but not always. How awful would it be to push a wine into a numerical range and find you don't like it when it tasted good before?

I agree with this statement. I taste my wines along the way of being made starting with the juice prior to inocculating with the yeast. I will taste the final product for acid but the real test is the taste. Usually you can tell if a wine is low in acid or to high by taste. I use the numbers more as a reference. I know I like my apple right around .72 - .75, if it tastes flat and it only tests at .6, I know I need to adjust upward and I will use the .72 as a target. I add half the recommended acid, test and taste again..

Retra,

Your numbers for the Raspberry look good, the Apple and Strawberry may be a little low. How's it taste?

Actually taste OK. This is my second batch of apple. I am considering raising the level as we may like the added crispness. Last batch is gone so it was a acceptable. Problem is after being on this forum and reading so many posts I do not have to settle for acceptable. I am now seeking exceptional.

I currently don't test acid levels. I'm sure there are many options out there. What does everyone suggest on using?

Your local wine shop will have a kit. If no shop nearby they are readily available online. The kits are very simple to use. Best to adjust levels prior to pitching the yeast in the beginning. Just read the directions. This thread has good advice about checking levels.

Wow Seth. My wife is not going to be happy and I am going to blame it on you. What a serious piece of equipment.

Fermenting is fun!

Latest posts

Back