Cornelius Keg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDKS

Reaction score
In my search for wine bottles I found a source for Cornelius Kegs that someone wants to get rid of. They are 5 gallons that might work for my experimental batches. Would these be good for a secondary fermenter? It would not be hard to setup an airlock. It is cheaper than sky-rocketing price of glass at this time.
smiley18.gif
Even if I would need to replace gaskets, those are cheap.

Just thinking out loud. Any suggestions would be helpful

Better for making beer with a C02 system or to make sparkling wine although I would let it actually ferment in the corny keg instead of adding C02 to it. Ive done it and while it is Ok, it is not as good as fermenting it as the bubble are much bigger if kegging with gas like jobe said.

BDKS,

Where are you located? I am sure there are some Homebrewers here who might be interested. I also make beer but I have about 20 corneies so I am not interested. Also most make 6 gallons of wine and that would not fit.

tepe said:
BDKS,</font>

Where are you located? I am sure there are some Homebrewers here who might be interested. I also make beer but I have about 20 corneies so I am not interested. Also most make 6 gallons of wine and that would not fit.</font>

About 30 Miles south of Olathe, KS. Kansas City area.

Yes, you can ferment in them and many do. Like stated, just remember you can't do a full batch wine kit. Probably in reality only a 3-4 gallon batch by the time you leave room for the krausen. I have seen guy ferment 5 gallon batches of bee in them though.

We've just started aging our wines in the kegs. For the 6 gallon kits I just keg 5 gallons or so and bottle the rest to taste as it ages. The kegs are a lot easier to move around then the carboys!
VPC

smurfe said:
Yes, you can ferment in them and many do. Like stated, just remember you can't do a full batch wine kit. Probably in reality only a 3-4 gallon batch by the time you leave room for the krausen. I have seen guy ferment 5 gallon batches of bee in them though.

Hey Smurf, you know a guy who ferments Bee</font>, How many lbs of bee per 5 gallon batch would you need?
smiley36.gif

I currently clean my carboys, add a little kmeta solution and cap them so they stay sanitized. but I’m not sure how I should store my empty corny kegs. I was thinking about using the same method, clean add some meta and pressurize till next use. But I seem to remember reading once that the meta’s will pit or eat away in someway the stainless. Is this true, or am I making things up???

How do you other keggers store yours??

Thanks,

Rube

Rube-a-Billy said:
I currently clean my carboys, add a little kmeta solution and cap them so they stay sanitized. but I’m not sure how I should store my empty corny kegs. I was thinking about using the same method, clean add some meta and pressurize till next use. But I seem to remember reading once that the meta’s will pit or eat away in someway the stainless. Is this true, or am I making things up???

How do you other keggers store yours??

Thanks,

Rube

I usually just store them dry and sanitize before using but I do store them with Star San in them when I am brewing regularly in the summer. I fill the keg about half way and hit it with some CO2 to seal it. I let it set one direction and then will flip the keg over to let the volume of sanitizer cover the other half of the keg. When I am ready to use I hook up the gas and transfer the sanitizer over to another keg to use to sanitize it. I never us the Meta's in beer making. I don't know why. I just remember reading once it wasn't recommended but I can't remember why and I can't find the source I had read.

After I clean and sanitize I just add 20PSI and you are done.

Been doing it to all my 21 cornies when empty.

Do not keep meta in a stainless steel vessel as it will pit the steel. you can clean it with it but dont store it in there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for chiming in all. i just did it the other day, so rinsed out drip dried and presurized tonight.

i will rinse with some meta b4 i age or carbonate my next wine. looking at my stock, i'm guessing within the next month i will be carbonating my Cranberry Chianti, it's only about 2 months old and already showing promsise for AZ summer drinking
smiley19.gif
(sorry, i'm a proud winearent).
i did the payment option, only change i would make is to maybe use a little less f-pack. i used 1/2, maybe i will try 1/3 next time to sweeten, half is just tad too sweet for me. but i like the taste the honey adds so i'm sure that contributes.

i will also be kegging/aging my Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel - with "Crushed Grape pack", and am probably going to age my apple wine using brwn sugar. I think i need to get more kegs. the space saving and carbonating option is awesome
smiley1.gif
i'm guessing sampling from the keg will be nice also.

I bought a nitrogen bottle and regulator so I can put wine on tap. I have 4 kegs with wine in them right now.

I don't mean to change the subject (but I am) that cranberry chianti sounds interesting. Will you share the recipe!?

Latest posts

Back