Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What type of corker will you be using?

And when you move to the Vatican, if you have any cool jobs available, please let me know. I'd love to take my home wine making operation over there!

50% is learning the lingo.
The second 50% is learning patience.
The third 50% is learning how to do things.

I know that makes 150%. That's why it is so much fun. Math is not
important
smiley17.gif

PWP

You don't want to go to the Vatican. They only make red wine there. (ever
seen white wine at communion?)
smiley36.gif

Princess,

I will be using a two handled corker that has no adjustments of any kind. When I practice I am unable to get the top of the cork level with the top of the bottle. Should I cut the cork off flush with the top of the bottle? I do want to use theheat shrink cover thingies. ("Thingy" is one of those technical terms that I am learning very quickly.)

I will be buying corks because I used so many of those thatGeorge sent with the beginners pack. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am a bit discouraged about the pope thing, so I might change my goals and go for sainthood instead. Saint Glenimus has a nice ring to it, don't you agree. How many miracles are we looking at here?

I love this forum and I have only been on 2 days.

Peter, I don't want to live at the Vatican, I'm just looking for a job and will work there. Maybe I can do a preaching gig or two. Think they might want to be come Lutherans? I know the clothes aren't as cool, but think what they could save at the tailor!
smiley2.gif

Glenimus, are you leaving enough space for the cork? If that bottle's too full the cork won't go in all the way? Are they rinsed in some sanitizer so they're wet? When we were using a hand corker we had the same problems you're having and we hated to bottle. We used shrinky thingy caps on all the bottles at that time. The ones with corks that didn't seat properly looked funny, but the wine tasted the same.

Number one word of advice here, Buy yourself a floor corker. Seriously, after bottling a batch of wine and having things look not the way you want them, you're going to end up with a bad taste in your mouth and it won't be from the wine. I know we wouldn't make near the wine we do if we had to use a hand corker. Now, instead of dreading bottling and the results, it's fun!

Your holiness,
smiley2.gif

I have to testify that the metal double-handle Portuguese corker that I got
from George works very well. I haven't left a cork high yet, actually they are
all countersunk a bit. I work with the bottles on the floor and my weight
directly above, kneeling. This position lets you drive the handles down
forcefully in a quick motion. It could be that practice is all that is needed -
try your first batch with it at least, then you can decide to move on up if the
experience after 30 bottles is not satisfactory.

Bill

When PWP and I started making wine we got the double handled plastic corkerthat came with our starter kit. It was always a trial when bottling with it. The supply store where we started recommended #8 corks (measuring 7/8") and rather than #9 corks (measuring 15/16"). #8 corks are considered good for only short-term storage, 2-3 years at the most. It's not that the corks aren't going in, it's that theresistance to the cork going into the bottle while driving the cork, was pushing the corker up off of the bottle. Another person holding pressure down on the corker will help prevent this. Be careful, the PWP will tell you that you can get hurt doing this if you're not paying close attention.
smiley19.gif

2005-12-04_150142_Corking_002.jpg

Note: We didn't straighten up before shooting this picture!
smiley2.gif

Thank you all so very much. I practiced some this afternoon and learned a few things. These being:

1. Not all bottles are created equal.

2. Getting up above the corker was a great suggestion. I was trying to make love to the corker instead of showing it who was boss inthese here parts.

3. try to leave approx 1 inch of ullage space after the cork is in. (Don't know if I can do that with any consistency or not, but that will be the goal.)

4. a wet cork is a better cork.

5. prepare for a certain amount of spillage, etc.

Thanks for tolerating my humor about being Pope. I don't want to offend anyone so maybe I will cool that for awhile -- and then maybe I won't. The truth is, I would like to be Pope, but it might help if I were a Catholic.

My Portuguese corker and I say good night.

Glenimus

Latest posts

Back