Corks..to soak, or not to soak??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spray a handful of corks in a bowl with starsan and immediately cork. I do that primarily to lubricate them. Don't know if it helps or not.

The Double lever works on the floor as well probably why you can t get it to work. lol at least I do. Put the bottle between my feet insert cork in back slot and press down

I am using a double lever corker, and the only issue I have is that the corks don't go in the same depth, on the different bottle types. A floor corker is on my list to pickup before my next batch is ready to bottle.

...and to keep the thread on topic, I spritz my corks with k-meta, while in a container, just before I use them.

Last edited:
Wetting corks corroded my floor corker. After cleaning corker I gas the corks. Make a solution of meta in very hot water, place in pot with steamer basket cover and let sit. Last year stopped that so far no problems I use Nomacorc

I used to steam my corks in water with a little K-meta. It helped get them in the bottle easier when I use a lever corker. I stopped when I purchased a floor corker which inserted them much easier. Lately though I have pushed a few corks into the bottle when opening them. I store them on their side therefore they should dry out. I think I will go back to steaming them as the expansion may help seal them in the bottle better.

Steaming will help breakdown your corks. I personally would not do that with mine.

I would be looking for other issues with your corks being pushed in. Are you using #8 or #9 corks? Number 9 is the norm in the industry.

If you're using number 9 corks, next I would look at the corkscrew. Is the worm on the cork screw dull? This would push the cork in.

Have you tried various cork screws and do they all do it or just your favorite one that you've been using? Try another one and see if the same thing happens.

I want to try the corkidor. I previously since I started not knowing what exactly to do sanitized in different ways. First time I opened a bag of 30 to bottle I dumped them in a bowl of k-meta, soaked a minute and drained the liquid off and then used them. Since I have just opened the bag and spritzed them with K-meta solution I keep in a spray bottle. now I started buying premium corks in 100 count bags, not an amount I can use with in one bottling session so I feel the need to keep them in something to keep them more protected than in a cut open bag folded closed.

I have a 23L bucket I got Chilean juice in I think will make a good one. the lid is sealed around the rim but it has a rubber weep hole thing in the lid with this still work?

I had issues with dry corks as well, this is how I made my corkidor:
Before I started to bottle my wine, I took a plastic storage container big enough to fit a small ramekin; I took the ramekin, added meta and water, and microwaved it for 30 secs, just enough to create a tiny bit of steam; I put it in the storage container, put the corks in and put a lid on.
By the time I was ready to cork the bottles, maybe 20 mins or so, the corks slipped into the bottles with ease.

Gee Tom, I had to bing "ramekin" to figure out what you were talking about! I learned something tonight. I never heard that term before.

3000 corks?!!!! That's 100 standard 6-gallon kits of wine; 600 gallons of wine!
That would be a lifetime supply for me, since I don't give my wine away.

I would love to be able to make that much wine. I enjoy making it as much as drinking it!!! (Gives me a reason to retreat to my man cave [or man winery].)

Corks do go in a little easier when moist. I do keep a corkador, but 30 minutes before I bottle, I spray a mist of k-meta into the bag of corks, then seal the bag until I start bottling. That pretty much takes care of moistening them without damaging them.

Robie these are for me and pjd. I have not ordered any since this past Fall. The price I pay for branded corks is far cheaper than what I pay in a store. There is a 1000 ct minamum order. I am hoping to find out that shipping for three bags is not much more than shipping for one bag. That alone would save us a small fortune.

Oh man, I really want to post something about how Dan not moistening his corks keeps him from being the biggest - uhhh, hmm - around, but I'd better not. I know JULIE is lurking. :)

I do nothing to mine if they are coming from a sealed bag and have never had trouble, ever. But once the bag is opened, when done I put it inside a gallon Ziplock and sprinkle some k meta in there and zip it up.

I have never had a problem with wines in storage.

Last edited:
Robie these are for me and pjd. I have not ordered any since this past Fall. The price I pay for branded corks is far cheaper than what I pay in a store. There is a 1000 ct minamum order. I am hoping to find out that shipping for three bags is not much more than shipping for one bag. That alone would save us a small fortune.

An here I was visualizing you as having this gigantic wine cellar filled with wines from top to bottom, room after room. :slp

Nah, I figured it was something like that. I too think it would be cool to have custom branded corks; I know ibglowin does. Maybe after I move to the West Coast in a year and start making lots of reds again, I just might go for a thousand branded. Not making much wine now because I don't want to have to haul it all the way out there.

Ok, so I'll be bottling tonight and I was doing some reading to figure out the best way to sanitize my corks.

I had planned on steaming them in a basket over some boiling water, but that does not seem to be a good idea.

I have campden tablets and StarSan. My second idea was to dip the corks in StarSan/water solution.
I'll be using a double levered hand corking mechanism.

Ok, so I'll be bottling tonight and I was doing some reading to figure out the best way to sanitize my corks.

I had planned on steaming them in a basket over some boiling water, but that does not seem to be a good idea.

I have campden tablets and StarSan. My second idea was to dip the corks in StarSan/water solution.
I'll be using a double levered hand corking mechanism.

This is from the book 'The way to make wine' by Sharidan Warrick:

~ "Rinse but don't otherwise treat your corks. Soaking and boiling are simply unnecessary and immersing the corks in sulfite solution can actually weaken them and possibly cause them to leak or let air into the bottle. A brief rinse gets rid of any crumbs/dust and slightly lubricates so they slide in easy."

With that being said, I insert mine from the bag, dry. However I use a floor corker which is easier to use so a slight rinse may help for insertion in your case.

I think a wet cork works better then a dry one.....for that reason I let mine float in a bowl of solution just prior to corking.

Latest posts

Back