Corks..to soak, or not to soak??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fancy corkador; a collander in a storage bowl. I spray the corks with Na meta, give them a tumble and put the lid on while filling bottles

photo (2).jpg

I can just Galveston's most eligible bachelor's corkador, a minature of that sweet shower unit you put in. Shower head that dispenses K meta, I know how you roll.

Why so many different ways to install a cork? I was at a large commercial winery a few weeks back and they take put them in right out of the bag, I have doing this for years and never had a problem. Why do we try and make this hobby was hard??

Why so many different ways to install a cork? I was at a large commercial winery a few weeks back and they take put them in right out of the bag, I have doing this for years and never had a problem. Why do we try and make this hobby was hard??

Rob, I have been saying this exact same thing for years. I also remove from bag and install. Anything else and you are contributing to the break down of the cork.

I understand with hand corkers, you slightly wet them for lubrication.

Remember that they corks actually come with a teflon like coating on them that is there to help with insertion into the bottle. Adding/rinsing with KMETA ect. will actually act like a glue when it dries making the cork more difficult to extract down the road. You only want to use the SO2 fumes from the KMETA to sanitize your corks.

Latest posts

Back