Cork Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyg

Reaction score
Recently I purchased 1000 twin disc corks. As a casual wine maker, I intend to utilize these corks over the next few years.

The corks came in a 1000 pack, so I need to split them up into smaller packs of 100 or so when I make my wine. Is there a recommended method for storage of these corks?

I was thinking of filling 10 ziplock type bags with 100 cork each, however I'm not sure if there is a better way.

You can do that. I do.

Butt, prior to bottling I count out what I need and place them in a makeshift corkador for sanitizing.

Several of us have made. Corkadors out of juice buckets. Add a quart milk jug in the middle and fill with sulfite solution. Then fill around the jug with corks and seal. This will keep the corks sanitized plus moist enough to not dry out for years to come.

I buy the nomacorcs, synthetic. I get them in 1000 quantity bags then after washing my hands I separate them into 10 100 quantity packs in the good ziplock bags. Squeeze as much air out of them as possible then put them in a cubbard that is in my wine room. It's cool and in the cupboard it is dark.

Pull out a bag at a time, sanitize and use. Never had a problem.

You can do that. I do.

Butt, prior to bottling I count out what I need and place them in a makeshift corkador for sanitizing.

Tom,
Have you noticed any difference at all in the dryness and quality of the first bag used .vs. one down the road in time?

I ask because I wonder if lightly vacuum sealing the individual bags would make any difference.

I buy mine by the one-hundred pack. I would like to buy in greater bulk, but wasn't sure how the corks would fair.

Thanks

Tom,
Have you noticed any difference at all in the dryness and quality of the first bag used .vs. one down the road in time?

I ask because I wonder if lightly vacuum sealing the individual bags would make any difference.

I buy mine by the one-hundred pack. I would like to buy in greater bulk, but wasn't sure how the corks would fair.

Thanks

I was wondering about vacuum sealing also. Comments anyone?

Tom,

Thanks

Nope, not had any problem. I put them in (100) a gallon zip-lock. Heep them in my garage (winery/brewery)

Tom uses many more corks then most and over a few years Im afraid those corks just stored in a ziplock bag would dry out.

Tom uses many more corks then most and over a few years Im afraid those corks just stored in a ziplock bag would dry out.

LOL.

Right. :try
1,000 corks lasts less than a year here.

Duh. Didn't have my "logic" cap on. :d

What was I thinking.

Back