Cork issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomhero

Reaction score
I bought 200 corks from more wine. 100 grade "b" and 100 bi-disk. I just don't know if they look as good as they should. Just looking for feedback.

I am not talking down on more wine cause I love the site and I ordered everything Thursday night and it arrived today which is amazing. Just was wondering what people thought.

1402175531122.jpg

1402175556434.jpg

They look ok to me. As long as they don't leak. There's a "Bottles, labels and corks" section farther down in the forums.

It's hard to tell cork quality by looking at the outside of the cork. Many years ago, we used to use natural corks. Then we got a few batches that LOOKED good, but when they were pulled from the bottle, many of them split in half. A lot of them also broke in half as the corker went into them and the remainder of the cork had to pushed into the bottle! We got so frustrated by it all that once the Noma Cork came out, we switched over. We've been using them ever since--have probably pushed 10,000 of them in that time and are very happy with them. So if you ever have issues with the corks you're buying and can't get good results, the Noma Cork is a good way to go. You have to have a bench mounted or a floor corker to use them--you can't use a hand corker.

I only buy natural corks (I plan on aging for many years), so I went and looked at the remainder in my bag. Yours look the same as the ones I bought from my local brew shop in Alaska. I have yet to have one leak.

As far as the corks breaking apart, from my experience is this happens a lot with the electric cork screws, not with hand cork screws.

Last edited:
I think your corks are fine and you did buy from a reputable supplier. When the corks are inserted and compressed the little voids you se will fill in.

Awesome thanks for all the replies. When I got them they just looked a little more "holy" than normal.

I had some corks break on me as well. They were given to me and I used them when I ran out of my regular corks. I think they dried out from setting on his shelf too long. I soaked them before bottling but I'm not sure that helped.

Your corks are new, they look fine to me.

Back