Cordless saw for pruning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking for recommendations for a cordless saw to prune the old spurs. I have a few vines that even loppers are getting difficult to use. I'm thinking maybe a mini-skillsaw type tool?

TIA

I use a non folding Fiskars saw. Makes quick work of even thick vines:

Pulling it out like a sword not only adds to the fun and coolness factor, but is also much faster than dealing with a folding saw. I also have a Fiskars folding saw, but only carry that on the back of my belt when I do not expect to need a saw much, rarely, or even at all. But the non folding one I wear always during trimming vines or trees.

Last edited:
I use ,, a hand pruner on one year/ two year canes
'a loping shears on wood up to 1.5 inch
a 21 inch brush saw on anything up to 4 inch thick
a chain saw on big things like hickory fire wood

'There are small battery chain saws which are OK and safer than starting a gas if you are in a tree, hand tools work since grapes are small, it justify it by cutting 4 inch 8 inch trees
'The skill saw I have has small teeth and never gets used on pruning, however if the main use is cutting metal/ wood yes it could also cut grapes but slower than a brush saw with large teeth
'I love and hate lithium batteries. They are fantastic for weed eating around the 50 grapes or a couple hundred feet of fence line. ,,,, I have yet to find one that lasts two years and judging by the constant used battery tools at Habitat Restore a lot of others also love/ hate lithium batteries. ( If one cell goes the whole battery pack needs to be fixed,,, not a lot of folks feel competent to pull a battery pack apart).
If you get one you want the highest voltage battery since that reflects how many hours (,, if it trims the whole fence line on one charge) or you want several replacement batteries (my son with Roybi tools mows his lawn using 4 to 6 freshly charged batteries) (and has also tossed his first Roybi mower)

Latest posts

Back