Cooking Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyondhuman

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am interested in making a fresh batch of something with the specific goal of cooking with it. So either a wine or mead that will work well for cooking. I am only 22 and have very little experience in both brewing (made 3 batches) and wine (drinking or cooking).

Does anybody have much experience cooking with wine or mead that might be able to suggest a recipe or some tips? Preferably something fruit or juice based (as grapes are a little hard to just stumble upon).

Thanks

When I ran a Ferment on Premises, I had a chef for a customer. I made some white wine from a kit for him to use in sauces and whatever. It was basically an inexpensive kit, probably Pinot Grigio.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for. 30 bottles of white wine for a non-chef may be a bit much for you.

ALso you may prefer a red wine if you're into stews and red sauces.

Steve

for an inexpensive cooking wine I used Welch's white grape concentrate. Made a gallon and left it ferment dry.

Rule of thumb... If you won't drink it, never cook with it!!!

I disagree with this. I was given a good bottle of red wine from a wine maker on this forum that was a dry red. I did not like it at all because I like a semi dry white. But I marinated my steaks with it and those were the best steaks I ever had.

My first thought would be an acidic, dry white, like a chardonnay. But, as previously stated, 30 bottles is A LOT of cooking.

I disagree with this. I was given a good bottle of red wine from a wine maker on this forum that was a dry red. I did not like it at all because I like a semi dry white. But I marinated my steaks with it and those were the best steaks I ever had.

Sorry, I'll amend this a little in marinating you can use it because ppl marinate with diff. vinegars that you definately wouldn't drink. But for quick cooking or dressings where the flavor will show through considerably, don't use it unless you would drink it with the meal. I had a chef tell me this once and it's great advice. (I've had a bottle of red (ick) that I did the same marinating trick and still (ick). Do yourself a favor and make a big batch of something you want to drink then you can drink a glass while you're cooking, best of both worlds!!!

I made a gallon of niagra-based jalapeno that I bottled in 375s. We cook with it a lot and sip it to help clear congestion :) :)

I gave a few bottles away and the recipients are asking for more.

reason for not cooking with anything you wont drink is: I cup in sauce 1 glass to get sauced. It is a universal rule:db

Sorry, I'll amend this a little in marinating you can use it because ppl marinate with diff. vinegars that you definately wouldn't drink. But for quick cooking or dressings where the flavor will show through considerably, don't use it unless you would drink it with the meal...Do yourself a favor and make a big batch of something you want to drink then you can drink a glass while you're cooking, best of both worlds!!!
I'll second that!

jalapeño wine would be a great idea!

I assume it holds some of the spice after it is bottled, that would be great.

thanks for the idea I think I will look into that and maybe use the welch's grape juice as a cheap base or something.

that should be a fun experiment.

jalapeño wine would be a great idea!

I assume it holds some of the spice after it is bottled, that would be great.

thanks for the idea I think I will look into that and maybe use the welch's grape juice as a cheap base or something.

that should be a fun experiment.

It would make a fun experiment, haven't tried it myself but you could add garlic or onion to the grape juice experiment. That should make a good cooking wine

Latest posts

Back