concord needs help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I have a problem with 18 gallons of concord (from juice) . I am at the second racking stage and noticed the juice is amber in color. I called the supplier where I purchased the juice and he said I should of ordered the skins with the juice. I didn't know at the time,this was the first time I used this supplier for juice. I made concord for years from juice and never had to add skins. Anyway the wine looks weak and the color is horrible. Can I add something to it and bring it back , or just dump it ?

Jerry where did you get the juice? I bought it from two different sources and one was red and the other amber. My guess is you got it from Walkers.

Jerry,

What color was the juice when you started? Was it amber then or did it turn to amber? Also, have you tasted the wine? At the second racking stage you should be able to get an idea onthe directionit is going. Lastly, you can always dump it so don't do anything until you hear from some of the mavens on the site. Seems to me if the taste is okay you can work on the color later. However, if the "amber" color is from oxidation, you may have an insurmountable problem.

Rocky said:
Jerry,

What color was the juice when you started? Was it amber then or did it turn to amber? Also, have you tasted the wine? At the second racking stage you should be able to get an idea onthe directionit is going. Lastly, you can always dump it so don't do anything until you hear from some of the mavens on the site. Seems to me if the taste is okay you can work on the color later. However, if the "amber" color is from oxidation, you may have an insurmountable problem.

The color was off when I started, the taste is weak. I should of used the skins , but they didn't tell me when I bought the juice. I learned

Jerry, When you say the taste is "weak" do you mean you cannot taste a lot of "concord" or do you mean the wine is thin? If it is the former, you might try some bench testing to bring it back. I would take a 1 gallon sample and hit it with K-sorbate. I would then add some Welch's grape concentrate (frozen food section of grocery store) or Welch's 100% juiceand see what it tastes like. I would not give up on it so soon. You can always throw it away but try to save it first.

Back