Concord getting close

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNeckWino

Reaction score
My concord wine got backsweetend to SG 1.021, and taste is great. Out of 6 gallons I put away 2 gallons for dry (0.950), 3 gallons sweet, and 1 gallon sweetened and fortified with an 80 proof brandy. Most of this will age, but I do have a party to go to tonight. 1 gallon of sweet is being sacrificed. Thank God I still have 20or so gallons in 3 other flavors to get me through. Cherry, White Zin, and a holiday blend of Cranberry-Pomegranate-Raspberry.

Sounds good. One question I have- did you mean it is dry at 0.995 and not 0.950? I have never heard of a wine getting that low. The lowest I have ever gotten was 0.990.

Have fun at the party!

Sounds good. I made two batches of Concord myself. The last one is in cold stabilization right now. I'll be blending one with Niagara and the other with Diamond.

Kinda guessing at the .950 as the hydrometer sinks till fully submerged. I have never had a wine do this before. I did have a stuck fermentation at 1.015. Wanted to ferment dry so I re-sugared back to 1.095 (same as original start). Restarted fermentation ......Alcohol is super high. Kind of a trial thing I guess. You ever get a feeling that your not sure how it would turn out...So ya just do it? Then I let it ferment under an air lock for a few weeks. Might have to do the same next year, but with 4x more grapes.

You started a wine at 1.095 and then brought it back up to there, at what point might I ask did you bring the sg back up?

I restarted from 1.015. Took it up to 1.095 tossed in another pack of yeast and let it go. Should have seen that air lock dance.

Latest posts

Back