Compost Heap what do you think

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I have a compost heap started and was wondering if I could add the wine dregs to it. Or will I have a Drunk Garbage Monster roaming the yard.

When I get to the bottom of my carboy I pour the last of it in a pitcher and stick it in the fridge and pour the good stuff off the top, glass by glass until I'm getting sludge. That sludge looks darn good for something......Since we are all going green....can I go purple too?

Ramona

I don't know for sure, but with all that yeast in there- even if mostly dead, it seems it would be good for the compost. Pour it on and turn it in!

It is fine, many do this. The sludge is basically the compost heap of the carboy. Even with the sulfite's it will decompose and the bacterias will devour it.

Compost is black gold....If it is just plant products it doesn't really smell that bad...Lots of green stuff a little brown stuff...some people even put shredded newspaper.....

We keep ours moist and cover with black plastic...it rots down quicker with the heat under the plastic. Often we have 3 piles going...one that is finished and we are using for planting, one under plastic and a fresh one started.

Have fun!!!

Back