Compliments to those wine makers who share their knowledge

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hat's off to the moderators, who do the thankless job that makes any forum great or makes it awful. Diligent moderators are the people who create an atmosphere where people feel comfortable and where divisive topics and comments are removed. Lackluster moderators or those with an agenda can ruin a forum quickly, or ostracize a lot of the members.

No matter the forum, I believe a good welcoming atmosphere is like a carboy – it only works well if it is kept completely sanitized. I don't know how many members know it, but our mods have had to make some difficult decisions and some have actually been slandered on other wine club forums for their actions. It is a relentless, thankless job because no matter what decision you make, somebody is gonna be mad.

And despite the fact that Julie nearly banned me when I first came on here, :) I say thank you to the mods who keep this place welcoming to all.

I agree that the Moderators job is a difficult one and, in most cases, I agree with what they do. I respectfully have to disagree in some case with the way it is done. I spent 35 years in industry, 30 of them in management positions. I learned a lot as I went along about how to work with people and one cardinal rule was that you congratulate people publically and castigate people privately. I, therefore, disagree with some of the public reprimands that I have seen on the forum. I feel that a PM to the offender would have sufficed.

I want to thank everyone for helping me get started this summer. I had no prior experience at making wine; however I had plenty experience at drinking wine:D. Since August I already have 4 Eclipse grape pack kits bulk aging and 6 gallons of an italian varietal fresh montepulciano juice in primary. I anxiously await the day that I will bottle and finally drink my efforts. Again, I thank all of you for helping. However this has become an extremely addicting hobby. gwand

I agree that the Moderators job is a difficult one and, in most cases, I agree with what they do. I respectfully have to disagree in some case with the way it is done. I spent 35 years in industry, 30 of them in management positions. I learned a lot as I went along about how to work with people and one cardinal rule was that you congratulate people publically and castigate people privately. I, therefore, disagree with some of the public reprimands that I have seen on the forum. I feel that a PM to the offender would have sufficed.

I'm a mod elsewhere, Rocky. I've modded 2 sites over the past decade, and I can tell ya that no matter how it's done, somebody ain't gonna like it. :D

I can also say that what you do see appear by chance is probably just the very tip of the iceburg the mods are dealing with day in and day out.

To add a third perspective on the moderators..

I think they do a fantastic job in their RESTRAINT!

At no time have I ever felt that they misused their power or tried to bully anyone. In fact, I feel that when they do feel the need to step in, it is for a very good reason. My take is that this forum is rather free wheeling.

As far as castigating in public, I feel that they should do this. It is not personal and serves to remind all others of the rule in place here.

To the Mods I say this... Great job! Kepp it up!

{Julie, can I please come out of the corner now?}

I think what little we see, the public castigation, is a last resort by the mods after lots of private warnings.

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the kind words. I have to say I have come to know so many of you I feel like if we ever met in person we would just pick up a conversation and keep going. Who would have ever thought that some day you would have so many friends but yet not met most of them in person.

You know I thought this place was great when I stumbled into it, but it just keeps getting better.

Thanks for making this a place worth being everyday

Latest posts

Back