Color Locking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasemandingo

Reaction score
Ok everyone. I made a blueberry pomegranate from old orchard concentrate. I used 15 cans for 5 and a half gallons. I followed the recipe set forth by Julie(I think) however I did not add the tannin (1 1/4 tsp of tannin estate) until after primary fermentation was done. I have read somewhere recently that tannin during fermentation locks in the color of a wine and prevents if from fading/changing. The wine I pulled out of the extra half gallon in the fridge was the color of a blush. Not sure if this is where I made my mistake. I had also hear that tannins are used/metabolized/dissipated during primary fermentation and that more tannins can/should be added in steps during secondary/bulk aging and finishing tannins can be added for wines intended for lengthy bottle aging. Any insight into this is appreciated. I intend to use 2 cans of the concentrate to back flavor. Will this give me the nice color I am looking for or will I have to add a 3rd can?

Last edited:
Mine was not Avery dark wine but it was darker than a blush. I used 4 cans per gallon which helps with color. Add the tannins now, it will help and adding the concentrate when backsweetening will also help, be careful n how much use use for backsweetening, add a little and take a reading, don't go over 1.010.

K I was just a little shocked at the color. I should have added an extra can or two since I went for 5 1/2 gallons.

Latest posts

Back