cold stabilization again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've returned stuff from Amazon before, they actually have a pretty amazing and easy return policy and stand behind it...But I agree, George is good people.

Just checked, my digital Ranco goes from -30* to 220* so its quite adjustable. George doesnt sell this one and its more money and may be way over kill for what you need.

I have the thermostat plug on my freezer.
Icold stabilize wines at 28F.
I also put pressed juice from my white grapes into the freezer at 50F to settle for 24 hours, then rack the clear juice off and thenferment.
I use it toferment my white wines at 60F.
I use it forlagering beer.
Well worth the investment at twice the asking price.

in pennsylvania i am cold stabilizing 3 whites in my garage...a pinot grigio, moscato, and a riesling.....been about 2 weeks....temps between 25 and 35.....dont notice many flakes if any......but clear as can be......going to rack off sediment again...and prepare for filtering.....any thoughts on this...first time i have done this type of thing......seems to be alot cheaper than a large freezer......

no need to filter just yet....do your cs and let that *time* do more for you

if you wait then you ask less of the filter itself and there is nothing worse than getting halfway done and seeing your filter done for the day and you have to break out a new filter

the more you wait the easier your life

I wouldnt think the Pinot would drop much. How long have they been in there and are they fresh juice, kits or what. Most kits wont need cold stabilization.

I always super kleer, now I'm going to start to cold stabilize too. Is it still necessary to filter?

Necessary? No, it is seldom "necessary". Given time, almost any wine will get good and clear. For those whites you really want to sparkle, filter them.

Just set up my freezer thermostat from George. I guess I should monitor the temp with a thermometer for a few days before placing in a carboy. Would it be best to take the readings from the bottom, being the coldest spot ?

Jerry I set me freezer for the coldest temp and also the new thermostat at the coldest setting. The lowest me freezer went is 25* but usually stabilizes at about 28*. I bought a cheap remote indoor/outdoor thermometer from Walmart so I can remotely monitor the temps without opening the door. I just let the temp probe hang down into the freezer half way from the thermostat.
FYI; keep as much of the coil in the freezer as possible. I can fit three 5 gal BB's in my freezer and when I do the temp jumps up to 35* or higher until the wine cools down.

is cs just used for clearing tartaric flakes or does it also clear other impurities in wine or does it also clear like supper clear does....

It can help clear some wines faster if not using a fining agent. If using a fining agent it will usually prevent it from clearing. Also cold stabilizing can prevent chill haze later which is when you put a bottle of wine in the fridge and it clouds up.

Wade said:
It can help clear some wines faster if not using a fining agent. If using a fining agent it will usually prevent it from clearing. Also cold stabilizing can prevent chill haze later which is when you put a bottle of wine in the fridge anit clouds up.

Wade; now I'm confused, can I use superkleer before I cold stabilize ? I was told to cold stabilize last, that I should even sweeten before I cold stabilizeand that would help clear any cloudinessfrom sweetening.
Would you recommend to not use superkleer and just cold stabilize? Or cold stabilize first and later superkleer?
I just started to cold stabilize a six gallon carboy of concord that I allready added superkleer and racked a few weeks ago. Do you think I should stop the cold stabilization on this one?

Not at all! I would clear it first also myself. Im just stating that you really should keep the temp up while using the fining agent as they work better at warmer temps but if not using a fining agent cooler temps will usually clear a wine faster, that is if the wine was properly degassed first.

Latest posts

Back