Cold stabilization after reducing acid?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kk1224kelley

Reaction score
So I bought a acid test kit for the first time. I know I will need to reduce the acid just by the taste. Tastes very tart! Anyways, I will be reducing the acid with potassium bicarbonate and the test kits instructions say that is KHCO3 is used then cold stabilization must follow?

Cold stabilization requires 20 to 30 degrees F for 2 to 3 weeks. How important is this step? I do not have a place to store it in that temp other than the kitchen fridge but its full of food.

Its pretty important when it comes to using potassium bicarbonate because the cold stabilization helps it fall out of suspension, dragging with it the acids.

If theres no cold stabilization to help the potassium bicarbonate precipitate, then you may end up with a "chalky" flavor in the wine

Small note - you dont need potassium bicarbonate to cold stabilize, but you do need to cold-stabilize to use potassium bicarbonate

It also says to add potassium bitartrate mix then cold stabilize? I'm not sure what I should do. Do most people have a second fridge or something?

Potassium bicarbonate is the additive used sometimes during cold stabilization to help precipitate the acids out of the wine

Potassium bitartrate is what the acid turns into - this is what the crystals in the bottom of the carboy are, when cold stabilization is done

Some people have a second fridge/freezer, some people stick them outside - but i see you're in Texas and it probably never gets sustained temps low enough for cold stabilization outside

What kind of wine are we talking about? There's always blending with another batch thats lower in acidity, to bring both into balance but this creates a blended finished product obviously - but sometimes the blends are better than either wine was individually, even if they were balanced to begin with

I think Deezil has this mixed up with calcium carbonate. That is the one that is used pre-fermentation and can leave the wine a bit chalky. Potassium bicarbonate is used post fermentation and too much of it can leave the wine tasting a bit salty.
Has your wine fermented yet? If so the potassium bicarbonate could be a choice but if you can't cold stabilize a better choice might be to just sweeten it slightly to balance the wine if it is a white.

I think Deezil has this mixed up with calcium carbonate. That is the one that is used pre-fermentation and can leave the wine a bit chalky. Potassium bicarbonate is used post fermentation and too much of it can leave the wine tasting a bit salty.

Doh, i think you're right on the tastes... Although neither one is a good thing :)

Well I'm make wine from wenches concentrate. I hate telling people that cuz it sounds like I'm making a cheap tasting wine but this is my 2nd batch and I want to get good at this stuff before I invest in fresh fruit or grapes or quality concentrate. Anyways, I guess I could try to high jack the kitchen fridge for about a week and half or two. I've also been told cold stabilization can reduce the acid alone without the potassium bicarbonate?

You could make another batch but water it down some...

You could figure out how far to water it down by measuring the acidity of the two wines - the one you made (high acidity), and the one you could make (potentially low acidity) - and knowing the volume of the already-made wine you can calculate out how much wine you'd need to make at what acidity level, so that when you blended the two you'd still have the original flavor but your acidity would be better-balanced

This gets you around potassium/calcium carbonate & cold stabilization, doesnt blend away your flavor, and gives you some more experience/confidence in testing for acidity and blending it to a manageable state

I have a deep freeze I know I should have mentioned that hahaha. But I assumed that would be too cold, would it now?

Also the instructions say to stir frequently and then rack after 2 to 3 weeks. But if I'm stirring that defeats the purpose of racking. Should I ignore stirring during cold stabilization?

A quick idea, try using a smaller bottle in your refrig. If it works like you want it to, then you can try to do something with the carboy. Just a thought. Arne.

If you are thinking about sweetening it at all I would take a small sample, sweeten it and taste it. You may like it and not need to do anything at all......... just a thought!!!

BOB

Well last night, I decided to put it in the deepfreeze and I set the temp on the lowest setting. 7 hours later I went to check on it an it had shown no signs of freezing. I'm going to keep a close eye on it. I have one of those digital laser thermometers I'm going to track it down somewhere and check its temp Thanks for all y'all's input

Latest posts

Back