Cold crashing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d like to reduce some acidity. Your answer gives me a better idea when to put the wine outside in upstate NY. Rather than lugging a five gallon carboy up and down steps, I plan to break it down into gallon jugs with screw caps and place them on the back deck. Probably best to wait until November for more consistent temperatures.
I would recommend leaving them undisturbed. Splitting into separate gallon containers will allow extra unnecessary oxygen exposure. During aging you would want to keep this at a minimum. Unless your wine is showing reductive qualities, racking should be kept to a minimum.
I’d like to reduce some acidity. Your answer gives me a better idea when to put the wine outside in upstate NY. Rather than lugging a five gallon carboy up and down steps, I plan to break it down into gallon jugs with screw caps and place them on the back deck. Probably best to wait until November for more consistent temperatures.

I'm curious if/what % of commercial wineries cold crash their whites?

Hmmmmm......
Cold stabilization, I would say close to 100%, and the traditional way to do this is by chilling to slightly below 0C for a week or more ('cold crash'). But there are some recent advances in cold stabilization with additives (notably KPA, potassium polyaspartate), which offer a potentially cheaper and more environmentally friendly option for commercial production.

Back