RJ Spagnols Coffee and Apple Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I tried a bottle of the Apple and Coffee Port. I can tell you if they are available again this fall I will be buying more. I added just enough Butter Rum Liquor to the apple and Hazelnut Liquor to the coffee for topping up the carboys. I used about 2/3 of a bottle in each. I can definitely taste the additions in both of them and I'm really glad I didn't add any more as the flavor would be over whelming. I think a full bottle to three gallons would be too much. I am anxious to share this with those who come to my party in June. I did not add anything additional to the Orange/Chocolate port.

Glad to hear about the reviews... I *almost* got the same kits :)
Maybe this next year, they've had the Apple the last few years, lets hope for one more

Dan, did you filter the Coffee Port? I'm guessing you probably did.

Those both sound really good although so did the Orange Chocolate to me and I got burned hard on that 1! Wish there was a home brew place that would make a bunch of everything and sell you samples!

I did filter everything. Wade they are are good. I added Hazelnut liquor to the coffee and Butter Rum liquor to the Apple. About 2/3 of a bottle to each. I'm real glad I did not add any more then that as you can taste them.

Hey Wade, how did you get burned on the Orange Chocolate? I'm a bit concerned as I just bottled a batch.

Dan, I made the Apple Tatin last in Oct '11 and bulk aged it until Nov '12. I bottled it in 375 ml bottles and gave it, along with a WE Chocolate Raspberry Port, to my family, friends and colleagues this Christmas.

I fortified the Apple with 3/4 bottle of brandy when I racked it off the fine lees. After three months I could still taste the brandy. But by the time I bottled it the brandy had fully integrated and I couldn't taste it at all. It was really full bodied and scrumptious. I bought the kit again and am making it again for next Christmas.

I too am curious about Wade's comment on the Chocolate Orange Port. It was not too bad at bottling.

WOW how did I miss all this. Wade just has bad taste! :) He sent me a bottle several years ago of what he didn't like and after tasting it I made the decision to buy it. Last year I made 2 OCP the apple and Coffee port. I thought they were all good. Actually I just bottled another port today.It was a blend I got at Walkers. It's a red with a hint of cherry in it. I sweetened it to 8% residual sugar and fortified it to 19%abv.

Hey Wade, how did you get burned on the Orange Chocolate? I'm a bit concerned as I just bottled a batch.

I make the orange chocolate and the chocolate raspberry every year.
Great taking out camping with friends!!!

Delicious every time!!!!

Back