Cloudy wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
I started a another kit last week, a Viognier, and stirred it every couple of days during primary fermentation. I checked the SG this morning and it read 0.998.
Great, time to rack for secondary fermentation. So instead of transferring to a carboy right away I accidently stirred the wine again, so it became very cloudy.
I then transferred to a carboy.

I then thought about what happened and wondered if I should have waited a few days before racking off, to let the wine clear a little first. Should I just continue and transfer again after the secondary has finish?

Thanks

Mike

I'm just getting started so take this answer for what its worth. I would think you're fine. You'll be clarifying in the secondary. Hopefully, some experienced folks will chime in :)

No worries. You'll be racking again after secondary is complete.

Just don't stir it before hand. ;)

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU: why would you stir the mix while it was in the fermentation process? where did you read that in the instruction's?Boatboy was correct put in the carboy and let it sit for at least a week in between then take a readying or two to make sure the wine is still. What mfg. kit was this if I may ask?:u picture 1+going into the secondary, picture 2 is the cleared product after or about two weeks of clearing with superkleer, don't be surprise if you have to clear more than once.:d

11.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:
sour_grapes:

The instructions you referenced say:

Using a sterilised spoon, push the grapes under the surface of the liquid once every day for the next 7 days, stirring gently.

Pretty sure no grapes in a viognier kit.

Steve

sorry ,I forgot about if you had a grape Pac or something of that nature ,but viognier, never seen one that came with a fpac ,yet alone grapes??WHAT MFG. KIT WAS THIS?

It will be fine. Certainly it is ideal to not stir at that point in the process, so that you're leaving more of the gross lees behind when you rack from primary to carboy. However, you will get another chance at it later in the process.
Heather

sour_grapes:

The instructions you referenced say:

Pretty sure no grapes in a viognier kit.

Steve

Yes, I was aware of that. That is why I said "lots of kits," not "this kit."

The advice to stir the must during fermentation is given very frequently on this board. I was surprised that Joe questioned it. Is it indeed wrong to stir a grapeless must during fermentation? First I have heard of that.

OKAY ,so let me clear my thoughts, if a kit has a grape fpac and you are in the primary then the suggestion is to punch down the cap, correct??

IF, the kit has no added elements ,to add in the primary ( stirring the base wine and bentonite in the primary is what's called for) with the exception of , oak and yeast then why would you want to stir ,I've never seen a straight up kit state to stir the added elements after adding the yeast, did I state that correctly? just sprinkle on top.:ib

Maybe Shakespeare’s Hamlet should have quoted “To stir, or not to stir, that is the question -…..”

I checked the wine this evening and it is starting to clear nicely. I will leave it until it clears more and rack again.

It was a Winexpert 16 Liter selection series Viognier kit, and it did not say to stir. The previous 2 kits I made had grape skins included and I stirred them daily.

Anyway thank you for all the responses.

Well, I am thinking of posts like the one I copy below. I do realize that not everyone has this opinion.

Importance For Stirring Your Must

Stirring your must several times per day (at least twice) helps your must in several ways.

First you are keeping your "cap", the fruit moist to help prevent oxidation by pushing the fruit back down. Fruit rises from The CO2 that is given off by the yeasts.

Second you are releasing CO2 (Carbon Dioxide, and other gasses) from your primary to make it easier on the yeast to do their job. If there is too much CO2 in your must the yeasts will become strained and you may stall a fermentation.

Third you are mixing in air which contains oxygen into your must. Yeast need to breath. By stirring not only are you adding much needed oxygen to your must you are releasing CO2 at the same time.

Forth by stirring and releasing CO2 this is that much less degassing you will have to do when your must turns into wine.

Fifth by stirring you are mixing the yeasts and the nutrients around making it easier for them to do their work. Even yeast that have fallen to the bottom of your primary will aid in the process of making wine.

Photo one shows a primary containing crab apples prior to stirring.

picture.php

Photo two shows immediately after stirring. Crab apples have a natural tendancy to float. Many fruits will sink.

picture.php

Even if you do not have fruit in your must it is still important to stir your must frequently.

Latest posts

Back