Clef du Vin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schulti1

Junior
Reaction score
<TABLE id=Table7 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle>

</TD>
<TD vAlign=top width=20>
dot_wt.gif
</TD>
<TD vAlign=top>
Has any one used or heard of these ?
smiley32.gif

Clef du Vin 3

Price: $299.95
<!--

-->

Clef du Vin is a scientifically-designed measuring device made from a mix of precious metals. Made for all wines, Clef du Vin, when dipped into a glass of wine, will age the wine one year for each second the alloy is in contact with the wine. Two seconds equals two years from now, three seconds equals three years from now, etc. Take the guesswork out of collecting with this invaluable tool.For the serious collector. The Elegance 3-piece set includes a pocket, service and bottle model with cherrywood accents</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

No way???
Surely precious metals means heavy metals.
I'm not putting heavy metals in my wine.

Also the price is way off. A pocket version is $89 from wineenthusiasts.com

Edited by: peterCooper

Hey Waldo and Jobe, now you can turn your new port into 20 or 30 year old port!
smiley36.gif
. I hope you sulfited enough for that!
smiley4.gif

There is an old proverb I like that I believe goes somewhat like, " When a man with experience meets a man with money, the man with the experience will have the money and the man who had the money will now have the experience"

wade said:
Hey Waldo and Jobe, now you can turn your new port into 20 or 30 year old port!
smiley36.gif
. I hope you sulfited enough for that!
smiley4.gif

I actually wondered about that myself. If this truly did "age" the wine, would you need more sulfite? Also, lets say it actually did work and the average shelf life of a kit wine is lets say 5 years but you "aged" it to 10 years. Would the wine oxidize in front of your eyes?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Hey, Waldo, I like your line of thinking, but let me scale it down a
bit for ya. A fool and his money are lucky to get togeather in the
first place. Hey, Appleman if you're out there, big ten-four on that
other subject. Sometimes the best things are'nt always the easiest
things to aquire, what ever the reason. Smurfe, still waiting to hear
where you hail from in Ill., I'm from Streator. My educated guess
woulld lead me to believe your'e from southern, but not extremely so.
Olney, maybe. How close am I ???

Smurf: I would just age it in the carboy for a couple of seconds, then bottle the two year old wine............ Yea right.... I wonder what scientific, hard copy data they could offer to back up their claim before one dished out that kind of money?

That must be aproven marketing strategy. The more you charge, the more believable the claim.
I think a better strategy would be to go out and spend 3 bills on 4 or 5 kits, making them one after another. You will wind up with so much wine, you can't help but age most of it before consumption.

Shulte, I'm sorry if I came across as a wiseguy. This forum is asked about Aging Gadgets frequently. The thing is, there is nothing out there proven to add years age to wines. I'm no chemist or biologist, but my opinion is you have to let the elements in your wines attract, dettract, and settle of their own accord. I would think if a product was that good, it would be all over the news, and the talk od the wine world.

I've heard if you want to imitate the clef du vin, you just drop a penny in your wine glass.

Back