Clearing & Stabilization of Late Harvest Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So last night, the hubby and I did our 3rd racking and are now in the "clearing and stabilization" part of our Late Harvest Riesling (Cellar Craft wine kit). We did as all of the veterans of this forum suggested and tasted a bit of the wine. ;)

I was AMAZINGLY surprised to see how clear it was as we put a little into the glass! ...There was only a very little cloudiness coming out of secondary. So, then we added the "Flavor Reserve" - which was almost like a honey and mixed that in well. We tasted a bit again - absolutely wonderful! I really didn't expect it to have a "decent" flavor yet. (This is our very first wine - we have 2 more in secondary and another in primary).

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room left in the carboy to fit it all, but my husband said no way was he letting it go to waste - so he drank the rest! :dg There was maybe about 24 oz left over. I'd say he's more of a glutton than a connoisseur ;)

I'm very excited to bottle in a few weeks - looks like our first batch may be a winner! :try If anyone has any tips that we should be doing within the next 3 weeks, I'm all ears!

Great! Sounds like you are going to be very pleased.

If you bottle a cloudy wine, it will not ever completely clear in the bottle. Just make sure the Riesling is completely clear before you bottle. If not clear, wait a few more weeks, then bottle.

Great! Sounds like you are going to be very pleased.

If you bottle a cloudy wine, it will not ever completely clear in the bottle. Just make sure the Riesling is completely clear before you bottle. If not clear, wait a few more weeks, then bottle.

Great advice Robie! It will be sitting for 3 more weeks in the carboy and then if it is still cloudy, we'll definitely let it sit longer.

One question, I've been reading a lot about "bottle shock". So is it true, that once bottled, we should wait a month to drink as the taste may have changed due to shock?

One question, I've been reading a lot about "bottle shock". So is it true, that once bottled, we should wait a month to drink as the taste may have changed due to shock?

Most usually, yes. Sometimes though, bottle shock won't make a wine taste bad, just different.

It's caused by the small bit of oxygen at the top of the bottle being compressed into the wine when you cork it. It takes a while for the wine to "sort it out". Some people go through a lot of trouble to minimize it by filling their bottles with an inert gas.

Often, when I want to drink or serve some of my new wine right after bottling, I'll use a "Vacu Wine cork" like you use after you've opened a bottle and need to store it.

I would let it sit for a few weeks for sure just to let it settle in a bit more. I made the Cellar Craft Showcase Yakima Valley Riesling this Winter and I bottled it at 3 months and it was fantastic as well. Definitely an early drinker that will only get better with some more bottle age.

Remember the three P's of winemaking!

Back