WineXpert Clearing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
Hi All,
This question concerns a WE Vitern's Reserve White Zinfendal kit.

I'm on day 15 of clearing (I added the sulfite and clearing agent 15 days ago to prepare for bottling). I can see the the wine but I do notice that there are two levels of clear. About a 1/4 of the way down from the top of the carboy it is very clear. The last 3/4 is clear but I do notice that it still looks a little hazy. You can clearly see the diving line as well. Above, no hazy, below, haze. I'd post a picture, but it does really show up that well. Is this just gas that I shouldn't worry about, or do I need to wait?

I know that patience is the name of the game, but I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to know the difference between ready to bottle and let sit yet.

Thanks
Monty

Thanks for the info. Here is my concern. You definately can see the dividing lines in those pictures. If you look at mine, it looks clear unless you put your eye up to the glass. When I do that, I see thin, wispy clouds that extend about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom. I've taken a couple of pictures to see if it helps.

20080215_135352_Clearing_01.JPG

20080215_135528_Clearing_02.JPG

Just above the temp sticker is what I'm talking about. I guess my concern is, is that I'm now on day 15 and it is nowhere near where moose's was on day 2 of his photo. Is something wrong or is this just gas and its ready to bottle?

Monty

Our WE Symphony is clearing very good. But, ours also has what looks like those wispy lines in it. I took a good flashlight and shined on the carboy and all I can see is just some sediment that is clinging to the inside of the carboy making it look that way. Just my .02. By the way, yours looks terrific Montyfox.

15 days isn't much time. That's only two weeks. I typically have mine in the carboys 3-6 months- some a lot more. Of course, I have hundreds of bottles ahead so I'm in no rush. If you can wait at least another two weeks I think you will be rewarded.

I fully agree with Appleman. Gas could also be playing a roll. Did you fully degas? Give it more time.

I have a white zinfandel in the clearing stage now. It has been 2 weeks and it is very clear. I have quite a bit of lees, more than usual I think but the wine has cleared nicely. I will wait another week and rack it off the lees to a clean carboy.

Latest posts

Back