clearing issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never mind, I just looked up the enzyme. Is that something that can be added now or is it better in the beginning?

Thanks again for the help

clears the haze from fruit juices; added at the start in most fruit wines, figured I could have a pectin haze from lemon juice, even if commercial, so treated with pectic enzyme to break it down. They should carry it; it is a common ingredient. If you add it unnecessarily it doesn't do any harm or impart off flavors, and is pretty cheap, so when my SP didn't clear i figured it was worth it.

So I got the pectic enzyme and it calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon of must. I'm past the fermenting stage and dealing with 23 litres approx. So do I add a tsp or 2 or do I match this up with the total liquid in the carboy?

nlkips said:
So I got the pectic enzyme and it calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon of must. I'm past the fermenting stage and dealing with 23 litres approx. So do I add a tsp or 2 or do I match this up with the total liquid in the carboy?

23L is six gallons. So for 1/2 tsp per gallon, add 3 tsp. mix well.

Haha I feel like a dumbass. Was thinking the must was the juice concentrate, but figured I'd ask

Thanks for the help guys. I think the pectic enzyme worked. Cleared yesterday and stole a glass today and it is tasting awesome. I just put on a malbec kit yesterday and will use the yeast slurry to make the next batch.

Glad the pectic worked! Such a good feeling when it clears after eluding you for so long

Oh I know. It took awhile but the transformation happened within 24 hours once it started.

Latest posts

Back